[SlimDevices: Plugins] [Announce] Spotty v1.9.0 - now with experimental Spotify Connect support!
mherger
2017-09-22 07:21:33 UTC
The title says it all :-)

23700

I'm currently playing a Daily Mix on my Transporter. Spotify Connect
support - what does that mean:

- Control Spotify playback on your Squeezebox using Spotify's
applications (desktop, mobile)
- Get access to (some of - see below) the Spotify content which is not
available through their API yet, thus can't be accessed through the
plugin
- Transfer Spotify playback from your office Squeezebox to your phone
to your car to your phone to your home Squeezebox

As the title says, this is still somewhat experimental. It's a bit of a
hack, but it's the best I could get done so far (and I've failed many
other approaches...). So here's the list of open issues and limitations
I'm aware of already (though I bet people will skip this part and ask
about them anyway...):

- If you want to transfer playback from one device to another you'd
have to do this using Spotify's apps. I haven't updated the menu item
in Spotty yet.
- No Windows support (yet)
- For whatever reason Spotify would not allow me to play Podcasts to
Spotty
- The metadata display can sometimes get slightly out of sync.
Squeezebox would show the next track's metadata 5-10s before it
actually starts playing (whil the previous track was still active)
- No volume control from Spotify's side
- Turning Spotify Connect off for a player would not always kill the
daemon. Restart LMS to get rid of it, if this bothers you.
- Spotify's limitations apply: if you play music to your Squeezebox
using Connect, you cannot listen to Spotify on your phone or any other
Spotify Connect endpoint.

Looks like a lot of limitations compared to the number of feature bullet
points :-).

If you want to give this Spotty Connect a try anyway, go to
Settings/Player/Spotty and enable the feature for the device(s) you
want. Please note that every activated player will launch a daemon in
the background. Be careful if you run LMS on a NAS with 256MB or even
less...

Many thanks go to marcelveldt who inspired me with his Spotify
implementation for Kodi!

|Filename: Bildschirmfoto 2017-09-22 um 08.34.30.png |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23700|

Michael

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins - MusicArtistInfo, MusicInfoSCR
mherger's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=50
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=108030
mherger
2017-09-22 07:22:41 UTC
(Did I mention that this slightly premature release is not only to get
things tested, but to celebrate the 5000th active Spotty user, too?)

castalla
2017-09-22 08:22:56 UTC
Installed. BUT can't find any way to enable the player device.

Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8
speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE
Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
SB Player - Fire TV
castalla's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=15624
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=108030
mherger
2017-09-22 08:31:21 UTC
You did read the announcement, didn't you?

castalla
2017-09-22 08:44:32 UTC
Post by mherger
You did read the announcement, didn't you?
Yes! Settings - Player - enable .... but there's no Spotty to enable

Evertjanus
2017-09-22 08:59:47 UTC
Same here. With no clue how to get to Settings/Player/Spotty

Great work btw, this spotty app!

Evertjanus's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=55463
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=108030
mherger
2017-09-22 09:53:40 UTC
Hmmm... it's in the web UI only. Did you check that? I've installed it
on three systems so far. And it has always worked.

What about your server.log? The implementation requires some command
line tools (pv, wget or curl). Are they available on your systems?

castalla
2017-09-22 10:07:18 UTC
Okay

log:

Plugins::Spotty::Connect::_getPVcmd (357) Didn't find the pv (pipe
viewer) utility

so, we need to install this pv, I guess

Evertjanus
2017-09-22 10:55:40 UTC
log states:
[17-09-22 09:52:56.2624] Plugins::Spotty::Connect::_getWgetCmd (343)
Can't initialized Spotty Connect without the 'wget' utility. Please
install curl using your package manager.

Being not very technical, I'm at a loss here.

Michael Herger
2017-09-22 11:11:59 UTC
Post by Evertjanus
[17-09-22 09:52:56.2624] Plugins::Spotty::Connect::_getWgetCmd (343)
Can't initialized Spotty Connect without the 'wget' utility. Please
install curl using your package manager.
...and another poor copy/paste job... Oh well. That one's easy to fix
(the message only).
Post by Evertjanus
Being not very technical, I'm at a loss here.
What operating system are you using?
Michael
Evertjanus
2017-09-22 11:27:11 UTC
LMS is running on a MacMini, osx.

mherger
2017-09-22 11:31:32 UTC
Post by Evertjanus
LMS is running on a MacMini, osx.
What version? These tools should be either pre-installed or part of
Spotty. I'm doing my dev work on macOS.

Evertjanus
2017-09-22 11:34:06 UTC
macOs Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29)

mherger
2017-09-22 11:36:19 UTC
Post by Evertjanus
macOs Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29)
What if you typed "curl" in a terminal window? IIRC curl comes
pre-installed with macOS. And wget should only be needed if curl was
missing.

Evertjanus
2017-09-22 11:41:34 UTC
I tried that, but curl isn't missing.

mherger
2017-09-22 11:49:39 UTC
$ curl
curl: try 'curl --help' or 'curl --manual' for more information
Hmm... that's fine. What about "which perl"?

Evertjanus
2017-09-22 11:55:14 UTC
$ perl -v

This is perl 5, version 18, subversion 2 (v5.18.2) built for
darwin-thread-multi-2level

mherger
2017-09-22 11:57:27 UTC
Oops... should have been "which curl". Typed literally.

Evertjanus
2017-09-22 12:11:07 UTC
Sorry, that command didn't work:
$ which curl
/usr/bin/curl
$ "which curl"
-bash: which curl: command not found

Michael Herger
2017-09-22 11:10:56 UTC
Post by castalla
Plugins::Spotty::Connect::_getPVcmd (357) Didn't find the pv (pipe
viewer) utility
Oh... two mistakes on my end: a.) I added a message about the lack of
those tools to the page which is not shown in case they were missing,
and b.) I thought pv was pre-installed in almost any Linux (except pCP -
for which I include a copy...). Will fix/improve this.
--
Michael