Announce: Local Player plugin and Squeezelite for Linux/Windows/OSX
Triode
2013-01-05 17:16:48 UTC
The Local Player plugin provides local playback capability from the
server computer.

Local Player installs a playback application (squeezelite) on the server
computer which is automatically run by the server and which can be
controlled via the web interface or other squeezebox control
applications. It is intended to simplify the installation and
configuration of the squeezelite by installing it via a plugin.

Squeezelite is a new headless (no user interface) software emulation of
a squeezebox which supports high resolution playback, gapless, crossfade
and most other squeezebox playback features. It was originally written
for linux and has been discussed on the linux forum:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97046-Announce-Squeezelite-a-small-headless-squeezeplay-emulator-for-linux-(alsa-only).
It now supports Windows and OSX too.

To install please look in the "Other 3rd party plugins" list on the LMS
plugins page.

The plugin should install the relevant version of squeezelite for your
server machine and then automatically start it. On linux it supports
intel and arm machines. For arm you will need to visit the settings
page to select the appropriate architecture (armv5te, armv6, armv6hf).
You can select the audio output to use from the settings page.

Please note the plugin download does not include all codecs. On linux
use your normal distribution installation process to install the
libraries given on the setting page. On windows/osx flac is supported
by default, to support mp3 for the moment will require lame to be
installed on the server.

Squeezelite binaries may also be downloaded direct from here:
http://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/downloads/list if you want to run
it on other machines. Note there are no controls other than the command
line options - it is controlled from the server using your favourite
control application or web interface.

Please try and post feedback here.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
pippin
2013-01-05 17:35:58 UTC
Cool, have been looking for this :)

You use lame for decoding, too?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Triode
2013-01-05 18:30:16 UTC
pippin wrote:
> You use lame for decoding, too?
I'm currently using mad, but didn't include the dll in the download -
hence the need for lame on the server.

Considering libmpg123 - any views on this vs mad?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
kidstypike
2013-01-05 18:33:42 UTC
Installed Squeezelite on a Windows 7 server, playing flac files no
problem.
Doesn't play mp3's though, how do I check that I have lame installed?

kidstypike's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=10436
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Triode
2013-01-05 18:49:19 UTC
kidstypike wrote:
> Installed Squeezelite on a Windows 7 server, playing flac files no
> problem.
> Doesn't play mp3's though, how do I check that I have lame installed?

Actually I think this may not work at present - I was assuming the
server would decode, but it looks like it won't.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
kidstypike
2013-01-05 18:53:26 UTC
Triode wrote:
> Actually I think this may not work at present - I was assuming the
> server would decode, but it looks like it won't.

Thanks, I've plenty flac file to play.

pippin
2013-01-05 18:54:07 UTC
Triode wrote:
> I'm currently using mad, but didn't include the dll in the download -
> hence the need for lame on the server.
>
> Considering libmpg123 - any views on this vs mad?

No, mad is what I know, too. But didn't know it uses lame. All these
dependencies....

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
kidstypike
2013-01-05 19:46:56 UTC
Another problem:
If I press play on an album, track 2 starts to play.
If I then press >> it skips to track 4, press >> again and it skips to
track 6 etc.. etc..

All other players are fine.

Triode
2013-01-05 20:28:57 UTC
kidstypike wrote:
> Another problem:
> If I press play on an album, track 2 starts to play.
> If I then press >> it skips to track 4, press >> again and it skips to
> track 6 etc.. etc..
>
> All other players are fine.

What format? When you say press >> what interface is this on? Are
there any errors in the server log?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
kidstypike
2013-01-05 20:47:33 UTC
Triode wrote:
> What format? When you say press >> what interface is this on? Are
> there any errors in the server log?

File format is flac
No errors in the server log (except when I try to play mp3's)

LMS web interface, click play on album art, plays track 2 every time,
click >> jumps to track 4. Shuffle is off.

Also same behaviour when controlling with Logi app and Orange squeeze
app on a Nexus 7 tablet.

|Filename: track 2.jpg |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14198|

Triode
2013-01-05 20:52:21 UTC
kidstypike wrote:
> File format is flac
> No errors in the server log (except when I try to play mp3's)
>
> LMS web interface, click play on album art, plays track 2 every time,
> click >> jumps to track 4. Shuffle is off.
>
> Also same behaviour when controlling with Logi app and Orange squeeze
> app on a Nexus 7 tablet.

Strange - does it play track 3 after track 2 - i.e. does it skip between
tracks. All the logic for the play list is done in the server so don't
see what is wrong.

Could you try enabling debugging and see whether it is opening some
tracks for a very short time? Otherwise open player.source debugging on
the server and see what it says.

Do you have any plugins installed which check the track start or have
scrobbling or something enabled?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
kidstypike
2013-01-05 21:04:41 UTC
Triode wrote:
> Strange - does it play track 3 after track 2 - i.e. does it skip between
> tracks. All the logic for the play list is done in the server so don't
> see what is wrong.
>
> Could you try enabling debugging and see whether it is opening some
> tracks for a very short time? Otherwise open player.source debugging on
> the server and see what it says.
>
> Do you have any plugins installed which check the track start or have
> scrobbling or something enabled?

Yes, it plays track 3 after track two.

No plugins for track stats or scrobbling.

This from "Local player" log when clicking >> (forward skip):

[20:59:02.567] stream_thread:145 headers: len: 118
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Logitech Media Server (7.8.0 - 1353679004)
Connection: close

[20:59:17.721] stream_thread:222 error reading: Unknown error
[20:59:17.808] stream_sock:342 connecting to 192.168.1.139:9000
[20:59:17.811] stream_sock:370 header: GET
/stream.mp3?player=00:26:2d:33:fb:81 HTTP/1.0

[20:59:17.916] stream_sock:342 connecting to 192.168.1.139:9000
[20:59:17.920] stream_sock:370 header: GET
/stream.mp3?player=00:26:2d:33:fb:81 HTTP/1.0

[20:59:17.924] stream_thread:145 headers: len: 118

kidstypike
2013-01-05 21:11:54 UTC
Also if I click to play a track in the playlist (right hand side of web
gui) it plays the track below it.

Triode
2013-01-05 21:14:36 UTC
kidstypike wrote:
> Also if I click to play a track in the playlist (right hand side of web
> gui) it plays the track below it.

Could you do the same with all debugging enabled. What OS version?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
kidstypike
2013-01-05 21:18:22 UTC
Triode wrote:
> Could you do the same with all debugging enabled. What OS version?

OS is Windows 7 64bit.

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.8.0 - 1353679004 @ Fri Dec 21 03:07:33
PST 2012
Hostname: George-PC
Server IP Address: 192.168.1.139
Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
Operating system: Windows 7 - EN - cp1252
Platform Architecture: 8664
Perl Version: 5.14.1 - MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
Total Players Recognized: 4

Where do I enable all debugging?

kidstypike
2013-01-05 21:20:40 UTC
Also, clicking << (rewind) skips forward 1 (one) track!

Triode
2013-01-05 22:34:58 UTC
kidstypike wrote:
> Also, clicking << (rewind) skips forward 1 (one) track!

I think I found what was wrong. Could up uninstall the plugin and then
reinstall it? (I've changed the plugin but not changed the version
number so you won't be asked to update it)

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
kidstypike
2013-01-05 22:44:31 UTC
Triode wrote:
> I think I found what was wrong. Could up uninstall the plugin and then
> reinstall it? (I've changed the plugin but not changed the version
> number so you won't be asked to update it)

Yes, that's fixed it for me.

Thanks.

aubuti
2013-01-05 22:47:47 UTC
Sorry for having to get help for what is likely a very basic problem,
but it looks like I'm missing a dependency or something. This is on
debian squeeze running LMS 7.7.1.
Thanks!

Code:
--------------------

Starting Squeezelite: /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/LocalPlayer/Bin/i386-linux/squeezelite-i386 -d all=debug -f /var/log/squeezeboxserver/localplayer.log -n Local Player
[17:45:08.187950] output_init:1219 init output
[17:45:08.188325] output_init:1222 outputbuf size: 3528000
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4170:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4170:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4170:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4649:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2190:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
[17:45:08.195220] test_open:141 playback open error: No such file or directory
[17:45:08.195285] output_init:1254 unable to open output device

--------------------

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Triode
2013-01-05 22:58:35 UTC
aubuti wrote:
> Sorry for having to get help for what is likely a very basic problem,
> but it looks like I'm missing a dependency or something. This is on
> debian squeeze running LMS 7.7.1.
> Thanks!

Code:
--------------------

> Starting Squeezelite: /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/LocalPlayer/Bin/i386-linux/squeezelite-i386 -d all=debug -f /var/log/squeezeboxserver/localplayer.log -n Local Player
> [17:45:08.187950] output_init:1219 init output
> [17:45:08.188325] output_init:1222 outputbuf size: 3528000
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
> ALSA lib conf.c:4170:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
> ALSA lib conf.c:4170:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
> ALSA lib conf.c:4170:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
> ALSA lib conf.c:4649:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2190:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
> [17:45:08.195220] test_open:141 playback open error: No such file or directory
> [17:45:08.195285] output_init:1254 unable to open output device

--------------------

That's saying it can't open the default alsa output. Is the lms user
allowed to access the audio devices? If not what happens if you select
one of the other output devices? Can aplay find the card?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
paulshutt
2013-01-06 00:36:08 UTC
Hi Triode

Just thought I would let you know I have downloaded the latest Windoze
build and tested it on my Dell D630 Laptop running WinXP all works well,
although the lack of MP3 support did get me for a while and I have no
flac files, so a couple of test flac files created and it produced good
results and the sync with the various SB's was very good, better than
SqeezePlay seems to run on the same Laptop, never seems to quite be in
sync.

As you rightly said LMS will not transcode MP3 files so it seems that
MP3 support is going to be needed to be at all useful as when in a sync
group the whole group refuses to play when an MP3 is requested due to
the WinSqueezeLite not being able to play with the other kids.

I am happy to test and report back if you do provide MP3 support.

Anyway, great work so thanks very much for all the efforts which could
spawn a new generation of Squeezeboxes (Raspberry Pi flavoured), keep up
the good work.

Paul.

paulshutt's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=58662
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
castalla
2013-01-06 01:13:25 UTC
I just tried this again on the Raspi using the plugin install.

1. I have to specify a -r value to get it running on the default analog
output

2. If -r 192000 is used the log just reports incorrect value for card

3. If -r 44100, the log just reports a line stating the arm6hf is being
used

4. In both cases, there is no sound on the output and it's impossible to
control the stream - it loads as if playing but cannot be paused, Mp3
file loads but fails to play.

In contrast, squeezelite installed as part of truehl's package works
100%

castalla's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=15624
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Triode
2013-01-06 11:12:03 UTC
castalla wrote:
> I just tried this again on the Raspi using the plugin install.
>
> 1. I have to specify a -r value to get it running on the default analog
> output
>
> 2. If -r 192000 is used the log just reports incorrect value for card
>
> 3. If -r 44100, the log just reports a line stating the arm6hf is being
> used
>
> 4. In both cases, there is no sound on the output and it's impossible to
> control the stream - it loads as if playing but cannot be paused, Mp3
> file loads but fails to play.
>
> In contrast, squeezelite installed as part of truehl's package works
> 100%

Its the same player, so the problem must be with the configuration - was
it definately the only squeezelite running?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
castalla
2013-01-06 11:30:38 UTC
Triode wrote:
> Its the same player, so the problem must be with the configuration - was
> it definately the only squeezelite running?

I specifically used the uninstall in squeezeplug setup to disable (?)
the other squeezelite.

As earlier, there no Running message unless I specify a -r value -
that's the only change I made - everything else is the default.

Triode
2013-01-06 11:41:56 UTC
castalla wrote:
> I specifically used the uninstall in squeezeplug setup to disable (?)
> the other squeezelite.
>
> As earlier, there no Running message unless I specify a -r value -
> that's the only change I made - everything else is the default.

-r at startup just means don't try to open the device, so does this mean
it can't open the default device? sounds like something else is using
it?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
castalla
2013-01-06 12:26:49 UTC
Default doesn't work.

The top check box - 'start on server start' if unchecked always states
not running - if checked, still not running. It changes to Running as
soon as I specify a -r value ...

Nothing else accesses the audio (as far as I know).

bernt
2013-01-06 12:35:29 UTC
Hi!

Great plugin. Does it support Replay Gain?

Looks like I get permission denied so it wont start. How do I add the
server user to the audio device?

Running Vortexbox. VB player is disabled.

Regards
/Bernt

bernt's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1342
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Triode
2013-01-06 12:40:51 UTC
castalla wrote:
> Default doesn't work.
>
> The top check box - 'start on server start' if unchecked always states
> not running - if checked, still not running. It changes to Running as
> soon as I specify a -r value ...
>
> Nothing else accesses the audio (as far as I know).

An -r value just hides the problem - it allows it to start without
accessing the audio device. If you enable output logging and look in
the log you will probably find it can't see an output device?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
castalla
2013-01-06 13:57:39 UTC
I now get this in log:

Starting Squeezelite:
/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/LocalPlayer/Bin/arm-linux/squeezelite-armv6hf
-d output=debug -f /var/log/squeezeboxserver/localplayer.log -n Local
Player
[14:56:07.781716] output_init:1219 init output
[14:56:07.783573] output_init:1222 outputbuf size: 3528000
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
[14:56:07.800308] test_open:141 playback open error: No such file or
directory
[14:56:07.800695] output_init:1254 unable to open output device

Triode
2013-01-06 14:10:43 UTC
castalla wrote:
> I now get this in log:
>
> Starting Squeezelite:
> /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/LocalPlayer/Bin/arm-linux/squeezelite-armv6hf
> -d output=debug -f /var/log/squeezeboxserver/localplayer.log -n Local
> Player
> [14:56:07.781716] output_init:1219 init output
> [14:56:07.783573] output_init:1222 outputbuf size: 3528000
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
> [14:56:07.800308] test_open:141 playback open error: No such file or
> directory
> [14:56:07.800695] output_init:1254 unable to open output device

Don't know about the exact debugs, but do you need to add the user to
the audio group (as per bernt's case)

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
castalla
2013-01-06 15:13:12 UTC
Bingo! Working now after the usermod fix! Will now do some testing.

Any advice on how I can dicover the max rate for the bt output - it's
using alsa. Can I use aplay to get info?

bernt
2013-01-06 13:57:45 UTC
Triode wrote:
> Should do replay gain. You probably need to add the user squeezebox
> server runs as to the audio user group?

Thanks, works great.

This is that I did to get it running on Vortexbox.

On the command line.

chkconfig vortexbox-player off

usermod -a -G audio squeezeboxserver

aubuti
2013-01-06 15:26:14 UTC
Triode wrote:
> That's saying it can't open the default alsa output. Is the lms user
> allowed to access the audio devices? If not what happens if you select
> one of the other output devices? Can aplay find the card?
D'oh! I had read that simple instruction, and then promptly forgot it!
All is well now.
Thanks very much for the plugin -- the timing is great as I am
redeploying some of my SBs and was about to install squeezeslave on my
server.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
castalla
2013-01-06 16:11:04 UTC
'Crackle' problem has disappeared after I switched off logging (???).
Will keep LP as player over next few days and subject to more tests.

Thanks for what is a brilliant feature!

Triode
2013-01-06 21:59:36 UTC
Updated LocalPlayer now in the Other 3rd Party Plugins list.

This version includes an updated squeezelite version which fixes some
bugs plus adds support for mp3 decoding on windows. Local Player should
now be fully functional on windows.

On linux the main issue people are seeing is the need to enable the
squeezebox server user to use the audio device. Unfortunately this
can't be easily scripted within the plugin.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
SBGK
2013-01-06 22:25:24 UTC
Triode, Can I be cheeky and ask if there are any plans to enable
Squeezelite (Windows) to output to Asio ?

Cheers

SBGK's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=52003
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Triode
2013-01-06 22:36:27 UTC
SBGK wrote:
> Triode, Can I be cheeky and ask if there are any plans to enable
> Squeezelite (Windows) to output to Asio ?
>
> Cheers

Will add to the list - I need to look at what I need to add to the
portaudio dll to allow this.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
SBGK
2013-01-06 22:37:14 UTC
Triode wrote:
> Will add to the list - I need to look at what I need to add to the
> portaudio dll to allow this.

thanks

SBGK
2013-01-07 00:19:57 UTC
SBGK wrote:
> thanks

Triode, just like to say that playing squeezelite with KS device output
produces exceptional SQ.

Thanks again.

Wirrunna
2013-01-07 02:52:16 UTC
Triode, looks like a good plugin but I cannot install it - having ticked
the box against Local Player, clicked "Apply" and restarted, I get
"Changes will take place at the next application restart. Please click
here to restart the server now.", so I "click here" and loop through the
whole procedure again. Also unable to load your Signal Generator plugin,
but I was able to load MHerger's Biography 3rd party plugin.
At your leisure, would you update
http://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/downloads/list to the beta 5
version and I will load it manually.

Wirrunna's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3225
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
kidstypike
2013-01-07 10:27:50 UTC
Triode

I need more help!

I still can't play mp3 files (Windows 7 64bit PC). Latest plugin
installed, Extact from server log:

Code:
--------------------
[13-01-07 10:12:26.0704] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for mp3 playback for [file:///L:/LaCie%20Music/C/Carole%20King/Tapestry/01%20I%20Feel%20The%20Earth%20Move.mp3]
[13-01-07 10:12:26.1453] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for mp3 playback for [file:///L:/LaCie%20Music/G/Gordon%20Lightfoot/The%20Complete%20Greatest%20Hits/14%20The%20Wreck%20of%20the%20Edmund%20Fitzgerald.mp3]
[13-01-07 10:12:26.2303] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for mp3 playback for [file:///L:/LaCie%20Music/S/Simon%20&%20Garfunkel/Bridge%20Over%20Troubled%20Water/01%20Bridge%20over%20Troubled%20Water.mp3]
[13-01-07 10:12:26.2970] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for mp3 playback for [file:///L:/LaCie%20Music/C/Carly%20Simon/The%20Best%20Of%20Carly%20Simon/09%20Anticipation.mp3]
[13-01-07 10:13:30.0587] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for mp3 playback for [file:///L:/LaCie%20Music/J/John%20Denver/Two%20Different%20Directions-%20Greatest%20Hits%20and%20Favorites/02%20Rocky%20Mountain%20High.mp3]
[13-01-07 10:13:30.0745] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for mp3 playback for [file:///L:/LaCie%20Music/C/Carole%20King/Tapestry/01%20I%20Feel%20The%20Earth%20Move.mp3]
[13-01-07 10:13:30.0903] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for mp3 playback for [file:///L:/LaCie%20Music/G/Gordon%20Lightfoot/The%20Complete%20Greatest%20Hits/14%20The%20Wreck%20of%20the%20Edmund%20Fitzgerald.mp3]
[13-01-07 10:13:30.1044] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for mp3 playback for [file:///L:/LaCie%20Music/S/Simon%20&%20Garfunkel/Bridge%20Over%20Troubled%20Water/01%20Bridge%20over%20Troubled%20Water.mp3]
[13-01-07 10:13:30.1183] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for mp3 playback for [file:///L:/LaCie%20Music/C/Carly%20Simon/The%20Best%20Of%20Carly%20Simon/09%20Anticipation.mp3]
[13-01-07 10:13:34.3349] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for mp3 playback for [file:///L:/LaCie%20Music/C/Carole%20King/Tapestry/01%20I%20Feel%20The%20Earth%20Move.mp3]
[13-01-07 10:13:34.3510] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for mp3 playback for [file:///L:/LaCie%20Music/G/Gordon%20Lightfoot/The%20Complete%20Greatest%20Hits/14%20The%20Wreck%20of%20the%20Edmund%20Fitzgerald.mp3]
[13-01-07 10:13:34.3645] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for mp3 playback for [file:///L:/LaCie%20Music/S/Simon%20&%20Garfunkel/Bridge%20Over%20Troubled%20Water/01%20Bridge%20over%20Troubled%20Water.mp3]
[13-01-07 10:13:34.3773] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for mp3 playback for [file:///L:/LaCie%20Music/C/Carly%20Simon/The%20Best%20Of%20Carly%20Simon/09%20Anticipation.mp3]
[13-01-07 10:13:37.1004] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for mp3 playback for [file:///L:/LaCie%20Music/G/Gordon%20Lightfoot/The%20Complete%20Greatest%20Hits/14%20The%20Wreck%20of%20the%20Edmund%20Fitzgerald.mp3]
[13-01-07 10:13:37.1147] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for mp3 playback for [file:///L:/LaCie%20Music/S/Simon%20&%20Garfunkel/Bridge%20Over%20Troubled%20Water/01%20Bridge%20over%20Troubled%20Water.mp3]
[13-01-07 10:13:37.1298] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for mp3 playback for [file:///L:/LaCie%20Music/C/Carly%20Simon/The%20Best%20Of%20Carly%20Simon/09%20Anticipation.mp3]
[13-01-07 10:13:52.1200] Slim::Player::Song::open (409) Error: Couldn't create command line for mp3 playback for [file:///L:/LaCie%20Music/A/Abba/Thank%20You%20For%20The%20Music%20Disc%201/05%20Ring,%20Ring.mp3]
--------------------

Lame appears to be installed, where do I ckeck that it is indeed
installed?

Many thanks

|Filename: Pic03.jpg |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14205|

ericj
2013-01-07 12:17:38 UTC
I've tried adding the squeezeboxserver user to pulse-access on Ubuntu
(and to audio for that matter) but recieve the following

Code:
--------------------

Starting Squeezelite: /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/LocalPlayer/Bin/squeezelite-i386 -o pulse -d all=debug -f /var/log/squeezeboxserver/localplayer.log -n Local Player
[19:47:50.088679] output_init:1219 init output
[19:47:50.088969] output_init:1222 outputbuf size: 3528000
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
xcb_connection_has_error() returned true
Home directory /usr/share/squeezeboxserver not ours.
xcb_connection_has_error() returned true
Home directory /usr/share/squeezeboxserver not ours.
ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused

[19:47:50.202007] test_open:141 playback open error: Connection refused
[19:47:50.202035] output_init:1254 unable to open output device

--------------------

Maybe someone who is more familiar with sound subsystems in Ubuntu can
suggest the command to allow access to pulse and ALSA?
Thanks for a very useful addition. Its great to see this community
thriving.
Eric J.

ericj's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3230
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Triode
2013-01-07 19:40:58 UTC
kidstypike wrote:
> Triode
>
> I need more help!
>
> I still can't play mp3 files (Windows 7 64bit PC). Latest plugin
> installed, Extact from server log:

This is LocalPlayer 0.5? This does not need Lame it should install its
own codec. Can you post enable decode debugging and post what the
logfile says?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
kidstypike
2013-01-07 20:52:32 UTC
Triode wrote:
> This is LocalPlayer 0.5? This does not need Lame it should install its
> own codec. Can you post enable decode debugging and post what the
> logfile says?

0.5 does not appear on the plugins page, I had to install it manually.
Flac files play fine. Mp3's won't play

Where do I enable decode debugging?

Triode
2013-01-07 20:57:33 UTC
kidstypike wrote:
> 0.5 does not appear on the plugins page, I had to install it manually.

Is should be in the other 3rd party plugin list - I've just checked the
repository and it is there...

> Where do I enable decode debugging?
On the setting page there's an option to turn on debugging and then view
the log file from the link on the setting page.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
kidstypike
2013-01-07 21:12:56 UTC
Triode wrote:
> Is should be in the other 3rd party plugin list - I've just checked the
> repository and it is there...
>

> On the setting page there's an option to turn on debugging and then view
> the log file from the link on the setting page.

Code:
--------------------
Starting Squeezelite: C:\PROGRA~3\SQUEEZ~1\Cache\INSTAL~1\Plugins\LOCALP~1\Bin\SQUEEZ~1.EXE -d stream=debug -f C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\Logs\localplayer.log -n Local Player
[21:01:29.687] stream_init:256 init stream
[21:01:29.687] stream_init:257 streambuf size: 2097152

Starting Squeezelite: C:\PROGRA~3\SQUEEZ~1\Cache\INSTAL~1\Plugins\LOCALP~1\Bin\SQUEEZ~1.EXE -d decode=debug -f C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\Logs\localplayer.log -n Local Player
[21:01:39.317] decode_init:98 init decode
[21:01:39.324] load_faad:557 loaded libfaad2.dll
[21:01:39.328] load_vorbis:209 dlerror: code: 126
[21:01:39.335] load_flac:196 loaded libFLAC.dll
[21:01:39.335] register_pcm:191 using pcm
[21:01:39.337] load_mad:269 dlerror: code: 126
[21:01:39.345] load_mpg:189 loaded libmpg123.dll

Starting Squeezelite: C:\PROGRA~3\SQUEEZ~1\Cache\INSTAL~1\Plugins\LOCALP~1\Bin\SQUEEZ~1.EXE -d stream=debug -f C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\Logs\localplayer.log -n Local Player
[21:05:33.389] stream_init:256 init stream
[21:05:33.390] stream_init:257 streambuf size: 2097152

Starting Squeezelite: C:\PROGRA~3\SQUEEZ~1\Cache\INSTAL~1\Plugins\LOCALP~1\Bin\SQUEEZ~1.EXE -d decode=debug -f C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\Logs\localplayer.log -n Local Player
[21:06:24.891] decode_init:98 init decode
[21:06:24.899] load_faad:557 loaded libfaad2.dll
[21:06:24.903] load_vorbis:209 dlerror: code: 126
[21:06:24.909] load_flac:196 loaded libFLAC.dll
[21:06:24.909] register_pcm:191 using pcm
[21:06:24.911] load_mad:269 dlerror: code: 126
[21:06:24.919] load_mpg:189 loaded libmpg123.dll
[21:06:32.903] codec_open:139 codec open: 'm'
[21:06:33.123] mpg_decode:86 setting track_start
--------------------

OK, found it.
Something weird going on, as soon as I set logging to decode debug, it
started playing mp3, switched back to stream debug and it stopped
playing.
ATM decode debug is selected and it's playing!!

Wirrunna
2013-01-08 00:45:03 UTC
kidstypike wrote:

> Something weird going on, as soon as I set logging to decode debug, it
> started playing mp3, switched back to stream debug and it stopped
> playing.
> ATM decode debug is selected and it's playing!!

Agree, on Win7 64, Logitech Media Server Version: 7.8.0 - 1353679004 @
Sat Nov 24, setting logging to decode debug is needed to play MP3.

Also, where does the -l List Output Devices display ?

bernt
2013-01-08 11:32:47 UTC
Moose works nice with Squeezelite (windows 7 64bit).

In Tools>Preference>Misc add to Squeezeslave Path:
C:\path_to_squeezelite\squeezelite-win.exe

Don't add anything in Squeezeslave Args:. If I did Squeezlite wont start
or don't show up on the server.

Start Moose with C:\path\moose.exe /squeezeslave

Triode
2013-01-08 21:58:07 UTC
Updated version using a bug fixed version of squeezelite

I hope this fixes the following bugs:
- windows version should play mp3s with any debug option set
- linux version will support mp3 using libmpg123 on arm processors (if
mpg is selected in preference to mad)

Please post feedback - especially if there are problems with the usual
plugin install - I would like to confirm what is causing problems. I've
just installed the 0.6 version from the repo on a windows machine.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
kidstypike
2013-01-08 22:10:59 UTC
Triode wrote:
> Updated version using a bug fixed version of squeezelite
>
> I hope this fixes the following bugs:
> - windows version should play mp3s with any debug option set
> - linux version will support mp3 using libmpg123 on arm processors (if
> mpg is selected in preference to mad)
>
> Please post feedback - especially if there are problems with the usual
> plugin install - I would like to confirm what is causing problems. I've
> just installed the 0.6 version from the repo on a windows machine.

No problems, installed 0.6 from the repo, set to stream debugging, and
it's playing ok now.

Many thanks

Triode
2013-01-08 22:13:44 UTC
kidstypike wrote:
> No problems, installed 0.6 from the repo, set to stream debugging, and
> it's playing ok now.
>
> Many thanks

Great - sorry about the problem with the previous version...

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Wirrunna
2013-01-08 22:26:57 UTC
Triode wrote:
> Updated version using a bug fixed version of squeezelite
>
> I hope this fixes the following bugs:
> - windows version should play mp3s with any debug option set
> - linux version will support mp3 using libmpg123 on arm processors (if
> mpg is selected in preference to mad)
>
> Please post feedback - especially if there are problems with the usual
> plugin install - I would like to confirm what is causing problems. I've
> just installed the 0.6 version from the repo on a windows machine.

Triode, thank you -
Settings/Plugins showed a new version of Local Player 0.6 available,
which installed without problem,
windows version 0.6 plays mp3s with debug option set to default.

Wirrunna
2013-01-07 21:18:26 UTC
kidstypike wrote:
> 0.5 does not appear on the plugins page, I had to install it manually.
> Flac files play fine. Mp3's won't play
>
> Where do I enable decode debugging?

kidstypike, I think you have to restart the server before Mp3's play. I
couldn't play them yesterday but can today.

Debug logging is enabled in plugins/Local Player

kidstypike
2013-01-07 21:22:45 UTC
Wirrunna wrote:
> kidstypike, I think you have to restart the server before Mp3's play. I
> couldn't play them yesterday but can today.
>
> Debug logging is enabled in plugins/Local Player

mp3's playing fine now with debugging set to decode debug, if I change
to stream debugging mp3's won't play.

slate
2013-01-07 22:50:30 UTC
Installed this morning on my Work laptop (Win8 64) and after a restart
it played. Enabled smartgain, played some FLAC files and the new Radio
Paradise NAIM stream. Also tried playing 192 flac file... all worked.

Just installed on my home server and it ended up in cyclic restarts of
the SqueezeServer; as reported by Wirruna

Now there is no "Local player" in the plugin list. I also cant find the
files under Squeezedata... hmm

slate's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=30502
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
kidstypike
2013-01-07 22:58:36 UTC
slate wrote:
> Installed this morning on my Work laptop (Win8 64) and after a restart
> it played. Enabled smartgain, played some FLAC files and the new Radio
> Paradise NAIM stream. Also tried playing 192 flac file... all worked.
>
> Just installed on my home server and it ended up in cyclic restarts of
> the SqueezeServer; as reported by Wirruna
>
> Now there is no "Local player" in the plugin list. I also cant find the
> files under Squeezedata... hmm

Exactly the same happened to me.

I downloaded the plugin from here:
http://code.google.com/p/triodeplugins/downloads/list unzipped it and
put it at C/ProgramData/Squeezebox/Cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins.
Restart LMS

However there seems to be a bug somewhere see above post by Triode.

bpa
2013-01-07 23:34:14 UTC
kidstypike wrote:
> Exactly the same happened to me.
>
> I downloaded the plugin from here:
> http://code.google.com/p/triodeplugins/downloads/list unzipped it and
> put it at C/ProgramData/Squeezebox/Cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins.
> Restart LMS.

IIRC you should not manually install plugins into into the
Cache/InstalledPLugins as LMS can delete them as LMS has no "record" of
installing them. You should install via the Plugins Tabs "Local Player"
under "Other 3rd party plugins"

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
kidstypike
2013-01-07 23:46:59 UTC
bpa wrote:
> IIRC you should not manually install plugins into into the
> Cache/InstalledPLugins as LMS can delete them as LMS has no "record" of
> installing them. You should install via the Plugins Tabs "Local Player"
> under "Other 3rd party plugins". You can manually install into the
> server/Plugins directory/

You may possibly be thinking not to install at C:/Program
Files/Squeezebox/server/Slim

|Filename: Pic01.jpg |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14209|

SBGK
2013-01-07 23:49:13 UTC
Triode,

have noticed that in windows setting the stream and output buffer only
works when the device is set via the output device debugging dropdown ie
not using -o device1

also does the period_count parameter work in windows using the -a option
eg -a 40:5 ? I can change the latency using -a 40:5 etc, but there is no
debug output about what is happening when the period_count is set.

Thanks

Triode
2013-01-07 23:58:43 UTC
SBGK wrote:
> Triode,
>
> have noticed that in windows setting the stream and output buffer only
> works when the device is set via the output device debugging dropdown ie
> not using -o device1
>
> also does the period_count parameter work in windows using the -a option
> eg -a 40:5 ? I can change the latency using -a 40:5 etc, but there is no
> debug output about what is happening when the period_count is set.
>
> Thanks

Windows does not use alsa - the -a parameter specifies the latency to
portaudio in ms. See the help text, but -a on windows takes a single
value. This should then show up in the output debug.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Triode
2013-01-07 22:53:12 UTC
kidstypike wrote:
> mp3's playing fine now with debugging set to decode debug, if I change
> to stream debugging mp3's won't play.

Hum - this is a bug - will look at it and report back.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Triode
2013-01-13 16:33:47 UTC
SBGK wrote:
> Triode, Can I be cheeky and ask if there are any plans to enable
> Squeezelite (Windows) to output to Asio ?
>
> Cheers

I've updated the windows build at:
http://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/downloads/list to include a new
build of port audio which I believe supports Asio, but I can't test -
can you? If this works I will include in local player. Note it changes
the name of the portaudio.dll so you will need both the squeezelite.exe
and portaudio.dll file.

Its also built with MSVC express 2010 so should remove the need for
additional runtime libraries as the server also uses this version.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
SBGK
2013-01-13 17:33:01 UTC
Triode wrote:
> I've updated the windows build at:
> http://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/downloads/list to include a new
> build of port audio which I believe supports Asio, but I can't test -
> can you? If this works I will include in local player. Note it changes
> the name of the portaudio.dll so you will need both the squeezelite.exe
> and portaudio.dll file.
>
> Its also built with MSVC express 2010 so should remove the need for
> additional runtime libraries as the server also uses this version.

wow, that was quick, shall give it a go. Many thanks.

cncb
2013-01-13 21:21:43 UTC
How does one get MP3 to work on a "standalone" version of Squeezelite?
That is, on a client Windows PC without the Local Player plugin? I have
downloaded Squeezelite v7 but I don't see any MP3 decoding library
included, just libFLAC. When I try to play an MP3 file it just skips
over it or stops when I try to play an MP3 radio stream.

cncb's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=8501
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Triode
2013-01-13 21:28:35 UTC
cncb wrote:
> How does one get MP3 to work on a "standalone" version of Squeezelite?
> That is, on a client Windows PC without the Local Player plugin? I have
> downloaded Squeezelite v7 but I don't see any MP3 decoding library
> included, just libFLAC. When I try to play an MP3 file it just skips
> over it and just stops when I try to play an MP3 radio stream.

Afraid you need to fetch your own at present - get the one from the
mpg123 download site and rename to libmpg123.dll

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
cncb
2013-01-13 21:34:14 UTC
Triode wrote:
> Afraid you need to fetch your own at present - get the one from the
> mpg123 download site and rename to libmpg123.dll

Ok, thanks.

SBGK
2013-01-13 21:45:55 UTC
Triode wrote:
> I've updated the windows build at:
> http://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/downloads/list to include a new
> build of port audio which I believe supports Asio, but I can't test -
> can you? If this works I will include in local player. Note it changes
> the name of the portaudio.dll so you will need both the squeezelite.exe
> and portaudio.dll file.
>
> Its also built with MSVC express 2010 so should remove the need for
> additional runtime libraries as the server also uses this version.

latency for asio seems to be set at 200 no matter what I entered in -a,
was that on purpose ?

Triode
2013-01-13 21:51:31 UTC
SBGK wrote:
> latency for asio seems to be set at 200 no matter what I entered in -a,
> was that on purpose ?

No - it passes the command line value to portaudio, but then reports
what portaudio has set it to - it must be ignoring it for some reason.
I'll look at the options in more detail and perhaps add other debug line
so we can be clear what portaudio is asked for and what it returns.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Triode
2013-01-14 21:33:54 UTC
SBGK wrote:
> latency for asio seems to be set at 200 no matter what I entered in -a,
> was that on purpose ?

So it looks like when ASIO output is used the latency becomes that set
by the card, not that asked for. I've made it work with my RME card and
latency set with the squeezelite -a option is always ignored, however
squeezelite reports the latency which reflects the buffer size set in
the card's configuration. [for my RME card low buffer sizes don't work,
but sounds fine at a higher buffer size]

I need to look more though as the alsa code within port audio suggests
latency values do something.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
SBGK
2013-01-14 22:20:38 UTC
Triode wrote:
> So it looks like when ASIO output is used the latency becomes that set
> by the card, not that asked for. I've made it work with my RME card and
> latency set with the squeezelite -a option is always ignored, however
> squeezelite reports the latency which reflects the buffer size set in
> the card's configuration. [for my RME card low buffer sizes don't work,
> but sounds fine at a higher buffer size]
>
> I need to look more though as the alsa code within port audio suggests
> latency values do something.

It's good enough for me, but others may like a lower latency setting,
but if the device restricts what can be used then that's understandable

grnunn
2013-01-15 21:21:16 UTC
I am trying to get ./squeezelite-armv5te running on my Synology DS211
(DSM4.1) but unfortunately I hit libc problems.
/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by
./squeezelite-armv5te)
Does squeezelite have to be compiled against 2.7? Could it be compiled
against 2.6 instead?

Thanks for your fantastic plugins!

grnunn's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=36440
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
dhallag
2013-01-16 01:49:44 UTC
is there a way to point winamp to the local player stream in efforts to
use winamp to display what is currently playing? (not looking to
control anything by winamp, just to display what's currently playing)

dhallag's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=30845
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Triode
2013-01-17 20:23:30 UTC
dhallag wrote:
> is there a way to point winamp to the local player stream in efforts to
> use winamp to display what is currently playing? (not looking to
> control anything by winamp, just to display what's currently playing)

I don't believe there's a winamp plugin which will do this - it would
need to emulate a squeezebox.. You are better looking for a squeezebox
based controller application such as Moose or other things discussed on
this site.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Triode
2013-01-17 20:40:04 UTC
Local Player now updated to version 0.7 which uses the latest version of
squeezelite which fixes a few bugs.

Please post feedback here..

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
azinck3
2013-01-17 21:03:25 UTC
I haven't updated to the latest version today so maybe this is already
resolved, but changes to the player name (from "local player") don't
"stick" between LMS restarts. I'm on Windows 8. Anyone else seeing
this?

azinck3's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3967
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Triode
2013-01-17 21:06:42 UTC
azinck3 wrote:
> I haven't updated to the latest version today so maybe this is already
> resolved, but changes to the player name (from "local player") don't
> "stick" between LMS restarts. I'm on Windows 8. Anyone else seeing
> this?

I'm afraid that's a feature - it resets the name to "Local Player" -
happy to take consensus on whether this is a problem...?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
azinck3
2013-01-17 22:16:43 UTC
Triode wrote:
> I'm afraid that's a feature - it resets the name to "Local Player" -
> happy to take consensus on whether this is a problem...?

Seems like it should just behave like every other player. My server
happens to be in my family room so I'd love to call it "family room" to
be consistent with all my other zones. Also, "local" is a relative term
which makes it a little confusing if you're controlling the player from
anything besides the server itself (what if, for example, you're using
iPeng? -- the uninitiated will probably think sending music to "local
player" will start playback on their iPhone).

A minor niggle, though. Thanks for all your work on a great player!

TimT
2013-01-17 23:18:49 UTC
My server is a WD MyBookLive. I can install Squeezelite via the
third-party plugin but even after restarting LMS the Local Player will
not show up in the list of player names.

I stopped LMS running, opened a command line and entered the following
on the server:

usermod -a -G audio squeezeboxserver

and restarted LMS, but the player name still doesn't appear in the
list.

Any suggestions?

I am currently using Softsqueeze as a local player but it does not play
24/96 files.

TimT's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=22971
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Triode
2013-01-18 20:32:35 UTC
TimT wrote:
> My server is a WD MyBookLive. I can install Squeezelite via the
> third-party plugin but even after restarting LMS the Local Player will
> not show up in the list of player names.
>
> I stopped LMS running, opened a command line and entered the following
> on the server:
>
> usermod -a -G audio squeezeboxserver
>
> and restarted LMS, but the player name still doesn't appear in the
> list.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I am currently using Softsqueeze as a local player but it does not play
> 24/96 files.

Have you selected the correct squeezelite version from the local player
setting page?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Wirrunna
2013-01-18 01:03:49 UTC
azinck3 wrote:
> Seems like it should just behave like every other player. My server
> happens to be in my family room so I'd love to call it "family room" to
> be consistent with all my other zones. Also, "local" is a relative term
> which makes it a little confusing if you're controlling the player from
> anything besides the server itself (what if, for example, you're using
> iPeng? -- the uninitiated will probably think sending music to "local
> player" will start playback on their iPhone).
>
> A minor niggle, though. Thanks for all your work on a great player!

Agree, only a minor niggle but would be cool to have the name stick.

dhallag
2013-01-18 01:24:14 UTC
Triode wrote:
> I don't believe there's a winamp plugin which will do this - it would
> need to emulate a squeezebox.. You are better looking for a squeezebox
> based controller application such as Moose or other things discussed on
> this site.

thanks for the response. the idea is to use the excellent functionality
of winamp on how it displays information on what's currently playing. i
don't want to use winamp to control anything, would just be nice if
there were a way to use winamp to show what's currently playing....

Triode
2013-01-05 21:26:17 UTC
kidstypike wrote:
> Where do I enable all debugging?

Its another option on the debug setting page "all"

Do you have sync enabled?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
chill
2013-01-05 20:45:44 UTC
Hi Triode

I installed this on my Mac mini server (OS X 10.6.8) running LMS 7.8.0
and it seems to work well. The install ran with no problems, and it
plays my FLACs fine. As I think you're expecting, it doesn't play MP3s.
It does play the 320k OGGs from your Spotify plugin though - was that
expected?

Can the local player be killed and restarted conveniently? As defined
by the 'Sound' preference pane, the sound is currently going from my Mac
to the USB input on my DAC, which is perfect, but out of interest I
tried changing the output to the internal speaker or the TV on the HDMI
port, and the only way I could find to make it switch was to stop and
restart LMS. I tried 'powering off' the local player using the web
interface and restarting it, but that didn't work - I suspect that's
because the local player picks the output device defined by the
preference pane at startup, and simply powering down the local player
doesn't cause it to recheck the output device.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Triode
2013-01-05 20:48:45 UTC
chill wrote:
> Hi Triode
>
> I installed this on my Mac mini server (OS X 10.6.8) running LMS 7.8.0
> and it seems to work well. The install ran with no problems, and it
> plays my FLACs fine. As I think you're expecting, it doesn't play MP3s.
> It does play the 320k OGGs from your Spotify plugin though - was that
> expected?
>
> Can the local player be killed and restarted conveniently? As defined
> by the 'Sound' preference pane, the sound is currently going from my Mac
> to the USB input on my DAC, which is perfect, but out of interest I
> tried changing the output to the internal speaker or the TV on the HDMI
> port, and the only way I could find to make it switch was to stop and
> restart LMS. I tried 'powering off' the local player using the web
> interface and restarting it, but that didn't work - I suspect that's
> because the local player picks the output device defined by the
> preference pane at startup, and simply powering down the local player
> doesn't cause it to recheck the output device.

You should be able to change the output device on the setting page and
it will kill and restart the device when you click apply. Can you
enable output debugging and see what it writes to the log file?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
chill
2013-01-05 20:57:52 UTC
Triode wrote:
> You should be able to change the output device on the setting page and
> it will kill and restart the device when you click apply. Can you
> enable output debugging and see what it writes to the log file?

Oops - I hadn't seen the settings page! That works perfectly.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
mbonsack
2013-01-17 17:19:39 UTC
Triode wrote:

> Squeezelite is a new headless (no user interface) software emulation of
> a squeezebox which supports high resolution playback, gapless, crossfade
> and most other squeezebox playback features.

As I recall the main limitation with Squeezeslave (not Squeezelite) was
high-res playback. Now that that issue appears solved, how do the two
differ? They both work fine on my Mac...

mbonsack's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1398
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Triode
2013-01-17 18:33:08 UTC
mbonsack wrote:
> As I recall the main limitation with Squeezeslave (not Squeezelite) was
> high-res playback. Now that that issue appears solved, how do the two
> differ? They both work fine on my Mac...

Squeezeslave is still limited to 16bits and 44.1k sample rate and won't
do direct streaming, sync and crossfade, and probably a few other
things.... Squeezelite is intended to do as much as possible of what
squeezeplay does without the user interface and hence be easier to use
in headless configurations.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
mbonsack
2013-01-17 19:58:06 UTC
Triode wrote:
> Squeezeslave is still limited to 16bits and 44.1k sample rate

This was recently changed to allow operation to 192k if I'm not
mistaken, as that was a fairly important limitation of Squeezelave for
many. Squeezelite seems like a true superset though; great work!

Triode
2013-01-17 20:21:19 UTC
mbonsack wrote:
> This was recently changed to allow operation to 192k if I'm not mistaken

Squeezeplay was - not sure that squeezeslave as been as there's more
code to change. If you want a headless solution, squeezelite may be
right for you...

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
mbonsack
2013-01-17 20:12:30 UTC
Triode wrote:
> Squeezelite is intended to do as much as possible of what squeezeplay
> does...

Indeed, it reports itself as Squeezeplay in iPeng (not Squeezelite).

Morbeas
2013-01-19 04:45:07 UTC
Triode wrote:
> Squeezelite binaries may also be downloaded direct from here:
> http://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/downloads/list if you want to run
> it on other machines. Note there are no controls other than the command
> line options - it is controlled from the server using your favourite
> control application or web interface.
>
> Please try and post feedback here.

I'm interested in doing this from my work PC (Windows 7). The two
issues I have is that I'm running LMS on port 9002 and it's password
protected. Can Squeezelite be run with specific port and username/pw
parameters?

Thanks.

Morbeas's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=53547
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Triode
2013-01-19 10:33:32 UTC
Morbeas wrote:
> I'm interested in doing this from my work PC (Windows 7). The two
> issues I have is that I'm running LMS on port 9002 and it's password
> protected. Can Squeezelite be run with specific port and username/pw
> parameters?
>
> Thanks.

Squeezelite uses slimproto on the standard 3483 port and then does what
the server tells it, this should mean it can stream from alternative
http server ports, but you need to make sure the slimproto port is open.
I believe password protection should work too (but I have not
explicitly tested)

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Morbeas
2013-01-19 12:46:26 UTC
Triode wrote:
> Squeezelite uses slimproto on the standard 3483 port and then does what
> the server tells it, this should mean it can stream from alternative
> http server ports, but you need to make sure the slimproto port is open.
> I believe password protection should work too (but I have not
> explicitly tested)

Yup, I have 3483 open. So how exactly do I launch Squeezelite from
work?

Sorry for the newbie question. :(

Triode
2013-01-19 12:55:35 UTC
Morbeas wrote:
> Yup, I have 3483 open. So how exactly do I launch Squeezelite from
> work?
>
> Sorry for the newbie question. :(

You will need to install and run it separately as LocalPlayer only
installs it on the server machine. Files are here:

Morbeas
2013-01-19 12:58:02 UTC
So just launch "squeezelite-win.exe [server address at home]" from a
command prompt and it'll connect to my LMS? What about the
username/password?

Triode
2013-01-19 13:07:45 UTC
Morbeas wrote:
> So just launch "squeezelite-win.exe [server address at home]" from a
> command prompt and it'll connect to my LMS? What about the
> username/password?

The username/password is only used on the web interface and the
streaming connection (which should be communicated by the server to the
player). Try and see?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Morbeas
2013-01-19 13:12:49 UTC
It doesn't seem to work. This is the exact command I used:
squeezelite-win.exe "external server url"

Triode
2013-01-19 13:56:09 UTC
Morbeas wrote:
> It doesn't seem to work. This is the exact command I used:
> squeezelite-win.exe "external server url"
>
> Edit: Does the server URL have to be in brackets []?

You need to add the ip address of the external server, e.g:

squeezelite-win.exe 1.1.1.2

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766
Morbeas
2013-01-19 14:13:27 UTC
Triode wrote:
> You need to add the ip address of the external server, e.g:
>
> squeezelite-win.exe 1.1.1.2

It has to be IP? I can't use the DNS name?

Triode
2013-01-19 14:21:46 UTC
Morbeas wrote:
> It has to be IP? I can't use the DNS name?
>
> Ok, the IP works. Thanks for your help, Triode.

Only IP address is supported at present.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=97766