Announce: Screen Switcher, switching screensaver for Controller/Touch/Radio
erland
2009-10-28 04:20:09 UTC
A first beta version of the Screen Switcher screensaver for Squeezebox
Controller/Touch/Radio is now ready for usage. It uses similar principle
as the great SaverSwitcher plugin by peterw available for Classic/Boom
players.

See the following wiki page for more information:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Screen_Switcher_applet

NOTE!
SINCE THIS IS A BETA VERSION IT'S ONLY AVAILABLE IN MY TESTING
REPOSITORY SO YOU NEED TO SETUP THIS MANUALLY:

Code:
--------------------
http://erlandplugins.googlecode.com/svn/repository/trunk/testing.xml
--------------------

It's installed by going to "Settings/Advanced/Applet Installer" on the
Touch, Radio or Controller. In the Applet Installer you will find a
"Screen Switcher" applet which you need to install.

To use it you need to activate it as a screen saver under the Settings
menu on your Touch/Radio/Controller. There are two screen savers
available:
- Screen Switcher: Switch between the screen savers you have configured
in the Settings/Screen/Screen Switcher Settings/* menus
- Random: Switch between all available screen savers

There are several things left before I like to consider this finished,
for example:
- Support for manually switching between screensavers
- Support for selecting which screen savers that should be part of
random mode
- Support for specifying delay in random mode, at the moment it uses 60
seconds for each screen saver in this mode

Some of my other screen savers will need updates to work really good
with Screen Switcher, for example the Album Flow applet shouldn't
restart every time Screen Switcher switches to it.

Feedback or bug reports are very welcome

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.isaksson.info) (Install my plugins through
Extension Downloader)
Custom Scan, Custom Skip, Multi Library, Title Switcher and Database
Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.isaksson.info/index.php/Category:SlimServer))
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70503
bluegaspode
2009-10-29 13:01:01 UTC
Just tried it out and really like it !

Now I can have the best of all my favourite screensafers (Clock,
Weather-Forecast + Alblum Flow to show off :) )

Just some minor remarks, all to the config-screen:
- is 'delay' the right word ? Wouldn't 'duration' be more appropiate ?
- if I configure a new screensafer in the order and then have the list
of screensafers, it still looks as if no screensafer was configured.
- I realize that you put your configuration-menu directly under the
screen settings. In the weather-screensafer I use the screensafer API to
register my config-menu and it appears under screensafers then.
Why did you decide to manually choose the position of the config-menu
?

Ah - and what needs to be done, that a screensafer isn't restartet
everytime the switcher switches ? Or in other words: what will you
change in your Album-Flow applet ?

Great work !

--
bluegaspode

1x SB-Controller+Receiver (Duet), 1xSB-Boom. 1xSB-Radio
Server (7.4.1) running on Linkstation NAS (LS-CHL) (with Debian Lenny
instead of Stock-Firmware)
bluegaspode's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=31651
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70503
erland
2009-10-29 20:20:53 UTC
bluegaspode;479094 Wrote:

> is 'delay' the right word ? Wouldn't 'duration' be more appropiate ?

Duration would be better, thanks!

bluegaspode;479094 Wrote:

> - if I configure a new screensafer in the order and then have the list
> of screensafers, it still looks as if no screensafer was configured.

Yes, I know, I haven't had time to investigate how to refresh the
parent menu automatically. The list will be refreshed if you step left
out of the menu that shows the list and then right to enter it again.

bluegaspode;479094 Wrote:

> - I realize that you put your configuration-menu directly under the
> screen settings. In the weather-screensafer I use the screensafer API to
> register my config-menu and it appears under screensafers then.
> Why did you decide to manually choose the position of the config-menu
> ?

I didn't know the possibility existed, will take a look. I think I took
inspiration from one of the existing builtin applets.

bluegaspode;479094 Wrote:

> Ah - and what needs to be done, that a screensafer isn't restartet
> everytime the switcher switches ? Or in other words: what will you
> change in your Album-Flow applet ?

The plan is to make Album Flow continue where it left the last time.
Similar problem also exists in the Daylight Clock which shouldn't
re-read the image if it's activated soon after it was used last time.

vw195
2009-10-31 15:11:12 UTC
Just installed this plugin, and it appears to be working grat with
Custom clock and Weather! Thanks!

--
vw195
vw195's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=32644
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70503
erland
2010-05-21 16:37:07 UTC
As some of you might have already noticed there is now a new version of
the Screen Switcher applet available.

The new version contains the following changes:
- Corrected bug with random mode where Flickr screen saver caused it to
stop
- Added support for showing different screen saver on different week
days or times
- Improved switching so it doesn't show the menu for a few milliseconds
in-between the screen savers, this should make the switching more
seamless than the previous version.
- Made sure screen savers are sorted correctly in the settings menu

The major new functionality is the possibility to configure different
screen savers for different weekdays or times. For example, have a
special screen saver on the night or have a special screen saver on the
weekend when you aren't working.

At the moment there is one default selection made and you can make two
overrides on each screen saver mode (off, playing, stopped). Let me
know if there is a need for more than two overrides and I'll increase
it. If two overrides are overlapping it will select the first one.

vdeknock
2010-05-27 12:27:40 UTC
I have been playing with the screensaver switcher plugin and the ability
to have different screens at different times.
The only one I have set is the off screen, I have a night time display
and daytime SDT weather dispaly.

Night time 10:40pm to 6:15am - the other one is active for the period
outside of this window. The morning change over is when the alarm
activates every weekday.

My issue I noticed last night for the first time as the unit was off
when the change over happened - the unit turned on and the home menu
was being displayed rather than the clock - I rolled over near 11pm and
did not see the time, I had to press the off button to get it back to
the off clock mode.
Anyone else noticed this? I dont see it in the morning as the alarm has
turned the radio on.

--
vdeknock
vdeknock's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=4467
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70503
vdeknock
2010-05-27 23:55:32 UTC
I watched this happen last night and the Radio gets in a loop. It turns
on and the screen flicks between the menu to set the screen switcher and
the actual screensaver. I had to hold down the off button to turn the
unit to an off state to stop this loop.

I am going to revert back to one single screen for the OFF position.

The morning switch occurs with the Alarm and that is fine.

erland
2010-05-28 05:56:48 UTC
vdeknock;550894 Wrote:
> I have been playing with the screensaver switcher plugin and the ability
> to have different screens at different times.
> The only one I have set is the off screen, I have a night time display
> and daytime SDT weather dispaly.

Do you have several screens which it continuously switch between or do
you just have a single screen that varies depending on the time ?

I need to take a look if there is some error in the /var/log/messages
file on the Radio/Touch/Controller in this scenario. If you know how to
use SSH and can get the /var/log/messages file, it would help if you
retrieved it immediately after the problem has occurred. If you don't
know how to use SSH, I'll try to reproduce it in my own environment as
soon as I have the time.

elziko
2010-05-28 10:37:22 UTC
I would like to have a single screen saver from 07:00 to 23:00. In
between these times I would like to have my screen off.

Is this possible with this plugin? I have tried to set this up but I
don't seem to be able to set the End Time - once I have set the time
there is no button to accept to my only option is to 'go back'. But
then when I go back and check the end time it has reverted to the
default 12:00.

Am I doing something wrong?

--
elziko
elziko's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=11835
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70503
Bernie33
2011-11-06 06:14:11 UTC
Posting this to save others time if they run into this problem. It took
me over an hour to get things working again, but since Screen Switcher
is important to making my Touch useful every day it was a necessary
effort.

My Touch received an update on November 5, 2011 to 7.7.0-r9550 and
Screen Saver stopped working as it always does after an update.
Normally I have to unplug the device to make it reboot, and then I can
tell it to reinstall Applets and it works again. Not this time.

I don't recall exactly the order, since there was a lot of rebooting
the Touch in the process. I had to reinstall the Applet on the Touch.
I had to update Squeezebox Server on my computer. Going to Settings on
the Touch for Screen Switcher told me I to do something with the
License Manager App, so I installed that on the Touch.

>From SqueezeboxServer on the computer, also called the Logitech Media
Server Control Panel, had to click "Advanced Settings". That opens a
browser window. Select Plugins. Installed License Manager. Select
Settings for License Manager. Scroll to Screen Switcher and discover
that a license fee is now required. Too bad it takes so much effort to
discover this through much searching and trial and error, but glad to
pay the fee.

After several minutes, Refresh Licenses on the computer. Then Refresh
Licenses on the Touch.

Hurray, it works again and remembered my settings.

--
Bernie33
Bernie33's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=38808
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70503
erland
2011-11-06 10:19:58 UTC
Bernie33;667874 Wrote:
> Posting this to save others time if they run into this problem. It took
> me over an hour to get things working again, but since Screen Switcher
> is important to making my Touch useful every day it was a necessary
> effort.
>
> My Touch received an update on November 5, 2011 to 7.7.0-r9550 and
> Screen Saver stopped working as it always does after an update.
> Normally I have to unplug the device to make it reboot, and then I can
> tell it to reinstall Applets and it works again. Not this time.
>
> I don't recall exactly the order, since there was a lot of rebooting
> the Touch in the process. I had to reinstall the Applet on the Touch.
> I had to update Squeezebox Server on my computer. Going to Settings on
> the Touch for Screen Switcher told me I to do something with the
> License Manager App, so I installed that on the Touch.
>
> From SqueezeboxServer on the computer, also called the Logitech Media
> Server Control Panel, had to click "Advanced Settings". That opens a
> browser window. Select Plugins. Installed License Manager. Select
> Settings for License Manager. Scroll to Screen Switcher and discover
> that a license fee is now required. Too bad it takes so much effort to
> discover this through much searching and trial and error, but glad to
> pay the fee.
>
> After several minutes, Refresh Licenses on the computer. Then Refresh
> Licenses on the Touch.
>
> Hurray, it works again and remembered my settings.

If you have any ideas how I could improve the instructions/displayed
messages to make it easier to understand, please let me know.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets (both free and commercial)'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland).
If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third
party plugin/applet development, 'consider purchasing some plugins'
(http://license.isaksson.info))
Interested in music discovery ? See 'Social Music Discovery (SMD)'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=656713) project.
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70503
Bernie33
2011-11-07 00:33:22 UTC
erland;667926 Wrote:
> If you have any ideas how I could improve the instructions/displayed
> messages to make it easier to understand, please let me know.

It would have helped a lot if Logitech showed a screen after updating
the Touch that said something helpful about the changes and possible
actions needed. It would also have helped if Logitech shoved a screen
after updating Squeezebox Server about possible effects of the update
and hints on how to deal with them.

After finding my way back to this Forum which I haven't needed in years
I followed a link to your website at http://erland.isaksson.info/.
There was nothing on that page that looked like it would help. Perhaps
you could add something there.

Then I went to http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland. I
found Screen Switcher listed there. That link took me to
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Screen_Switcher_applet. I think
it would help to update that page to talk about the license, the free
trial, and how to activate a license.

When I did get ScreenSwitcher reinstalled. but before I figured out the
new need to licensing the applet, ScreenSwitcher was showing me photos
that aren't mine. They must be yours. Instead of those photos, it
would have helped a lot if it was showing me screens that told me what
to do to activate ScreenSwitcher.

Hope some of those are useful suggestions. My Touch is not used often
to play music. Most of the time it is off, and then it is always
alternating between displaying a clock and displaying family photos, so
ScreenSwitcher has become like an important piece in my home. Thank
you.

Zaphod370
2012-01-02 05:18:16 UTC
I'm running a Squeezebox Radio with the latest firmware update
and LMS 7.7.1.

I recently wanted to try the Screen Switcher applet, so I installed
it along with the license manager and got a temporary license.

I set up Screen Switcher with two savers for when it is in the "off"
mode. The two I currently am trying are OffClockSaver and
OffClockSaver
SDT Fahrenheit. When I put it in the "off" mode, one of the savers
will
come up and display for 30 seconds. The second will briefly flash and
then
the radio seems to go into the "stopped" mode. Sometimes it will
alternate
between the first saver and "stopped". Other times it seems to stay in
the
"stopped" mode. I've tried different Custom Clock savers and the
behavior
does not change.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

--
Zaphod370
Zaphod370's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=52897
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70503
erland
2012-01-02 05:32:28 UTC
Zaphod370;680904 Wrote:
> I'm running a Squeezebox Radio with the latest firmware update
> and LMS 7.7.1.
>
> I recently wanted to try the Screen Switcher applet, so I installed
> it along with the license manager and got a temporary license.
>
> I set up Screen Switcher with two savers for when it is in the "off"
> mode. The two I currently am trying are OffClockSaver and
> OffClockSaver
> SDT Fahrenheit. When I put it in the "off" mode, one of the savers
> will
> come up and display for 30 seconds. The second will briefly flash and
> then
> the radio seems to go into the "stopped" mode. Sometimes it will
> alternate
> between the first saver and "stopped". Other times it seems to stay in
> the
> "stopped" mode. I've tried different Custom Clock savers and the
> behavior
> does not change.
>
> Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Do you have Super Date Time plugin installed in LMS ? The SDT related
Custom Clock skins will require it.

Does the "OffClockSaver SDT Fahrenheit" work if you use it directly
without Screen Switcher ?

Is it possible to see if the issue is related to SDT related Custom
Clock skins or if you have the same issue also if you have configured
Screen Switcher to only use some of the standard screen savers ?

Does the problem remain if you restart the Radio ? I'm asking because I
think I've seen something similar now and then in my own setup with
Custom Clock but I've never been able to track down the cause so far,
when it has happened, restarting the Radio has always solved the
problem.

Zaphod370
2012-01-02 06:29:11 UTC
erland;680907 Wrote:
> Do you have Super Date Time plugin installed in LMS ? The SDT related
> Custom Clock skins will require it.
>
> Does the "OffClockSaver SDT Fahrenheit" work if you use it directly
> without Screen Switcher ?
>
> Is it possible to see if the issue is related to SDT related Custom
> Clock skins or if you have the same issue also if you have configured
> Screen Switcher to only use some of the standard screen savers ?
>
> Does the problem remain if you restart the Radio ? I'm asking because I
> think I've seen something similar now and then in my own setup with
> Custom Clock but I've never been able to track down the cause so far,
> when it has happened, restarting the Radio has always solved the
> problem.

Yes SDT 5.9.9 is installed.

I'm using "OffClockSaver SDT Fahrenheit" by itself as the only "off"
saver right now and it works fine.

After screwing around with several combinations, it seems it only
happens when the two clocks are "Custom Clock" savers. If I set,
for example, Analog Clock and Dot Matrix Clock, it's fine. DotMatrix
Clock
and "OffClockSaver SDT Fahrenheit" worked fine.
"OffClockSaver SDT Fahrenheit" and a non-SDT Custom Clock did not
work.
Right now it is set to "OffClockSaver SDT Fahrenheit" and "Digital
Clock
(transparent) and it is switching fine.

I've restarted the radio several times with no change in behavior.

Zaphod370
2012-01-02 13:09:46 UTC
Zaphod370;680916 Wrote:

> Right now it is set to "OffClockSaver SDT Fahrenheit" and "Digital
> Clock
> (transparent) and it is switching fine.

Overnight, with those two set, it still ended up in the "stopped"
mode. I hit the power button and it started switching between the two
again.

Zaphod370
2012-01-31 01:47:16 UTC
Zaphod370;680973 Wrote:
> Overnight, with those two set, it still ended up in the "stopped"
> mode. I hit the power button and it started switching between the two
> again.

Well, my temporary license is up, so I can't do anymore testing. It is
still
broken from my perspective. If at some point in the future, these
problems
are fixed, I may change my mind, but I'd have to be convinced before I
laid
out any money for the license.

erland
2012-01-31 06:40:52 UTC
Zaphod370;687482 Wrote:
> Well, my temporary license is up, so I can't do anymore testing. It is
> still
> broken from my perspective. If at some point in the future, these
> problems
> are fixed, I may change my mind, but I'd have to be convinced before I
> laid
> out any money for the license.

I'll post back here if I manage to reproduce it in my own setup and
find a solution to the issue. When/if I find the issue, I can arrange
so you get a new evaluation period so you can verify that it really
works before purchasing a real license.

If you feel you would like to keep experimenting with it already now,
just send me your License Manager account id (show in License Manager
settings menu) via mail or PM and I'll arrange for a new evaluation
license already now.

phred
2012-03-08 03:34:04 UTC
Hi Erland...

I have this exact problem. I am trying to use Screen Switcher to
change between two (or three or four) variations I created based on
OffClockSaver SDT Weather Fahrenheit. I too have Screen Switcher set
to activate when the Radio is off. And like the OP, when turned off,
mine starts with one custom saver but instead of switching to the next,
the display shows the Settings screen (or whatever screen was active
when I turned the device off.) Then it switches back to the first
saver. Each of the custom savers works fine when it alone is set to
display when the unit is off. But once they're part of Screen
Switcher, it doesn't switch properly.

[I'm going to be out of town for a few days without much internet
access, so there may be a delay before I can reply to any suggestions
or questions you have.]

Thanks.

--
phred
phred's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=52602
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70503
erland
2012-03-08 05:51:33 UTC
phred;694611 Wrote:
> Hi Erland...
>
> I have this exact problem. I am trying to use Screen Switcher to
> change between two (or three or four) variations I created based on
> OffClockSaver SDT Weather Fahrenheit. I too have Screen Switcher set
> to activate when the Radio is off. And like the OP, when turned off,
> mine starts with one custom saver but instead of switching to the next,
> the display shows the Settings screen (or whatever screen was active
> when I turned the device off.) Then it switches back to the first
> saver. Each of the custom savers works fine when it alone is set to
> display when the unit is off. But once they're part of Screen
> Switcher, it doesn't switch properly.
>
> [I'm going to be out of town for a few days without much internet
> access, so there may be a delay before I can reply to any suggestions
> or questions you have.]
>
> Thanks.

I'm sorry if it took a bit of time until I could prioritize to look
into this.

I've now released a 1.1.3798 version of Screen Switcher which hopefully
should correct this issue and allow switching between two Custom Clock
styles.

phred
2012-03-08 11:27:43 UTC
No need to apologize for the delay, Erland. You told the OP that it
would be a while before you could look into it, and that was more than
a month ago. In addition, I only noticed I had a problem within the
past week or so when I finally finished modifying the screen savers.
And last night when I decided to search the forum to see if anyone else
had reported similar issues.

So for me, you took care of it within 24 hours.

I'm racing out the door and will test the new version on the other side
of the weekend and report back.

Thanks very much.

Zaphod370
2012-05-06 17:10:51 UTC
erland wrote:
> I'm sorry if it took a bit of time until I could prioritize to look into
> this.
>
> I've now released a 1.1.3798 version of Screen Switcher which hopefully
> should correct this issue and allow switching between two Custom Clock
> styles.

If you can arrange another eval period, I'll test it out on mine as
well. If I can get it working I'd
happily pay for a license.

erland
2012-05-06 19:09:33 UTC
Zaphod370 wrote:
> If you can arrange another eval period, I'll test it out on mine as
> well. If I can get it working I'd
> happily pay for a license.

If you send me a PM or mail with the 40 character license identity shown
in License Manager settings page I'll arrange so you get a new
evaluation period.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70503
Zaphod370
2012-05-10 22:54:26 UTC
erland wrote:
> If you send me a PM or mail with the 40 character license identity shown
> in License Manager settings page I'll arrange so you get a new
> evaluation period.

OK, I've looked at it and again it seems to work for some length of
time, but then ends up
with the radio in the "On" state. Is there some way I can collect info
or provide you with
something to help verify how/when this occurs?

erland
2012-05-11 05:03:16 UTC
Zaphod370 wrote:
> OK, I've looked at it and again it seems to work for some length of
> time, but then ends up
> with the radio in the "On" state. Is there some way I can collect info
> or provide you with
> something to help verify how/when this occurs?

Which screen savers are you switching between, is it still the same as
the ones you mentioned earlier in the thread or is it between some
others this time ?

Are you familiar with ssh/scp so you can login and retrieve the
/var/log/messages files from the Radio ?

You can find scp for Windows here in the form of pscp.exe:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

The process would basically be to run it something like:
1. On the Radio, goto Settings/Advanced/Remote Login and select Enable
SSH
2. On the computer in a Command Prompt window run: pscp.exe
***@x.x.x.x:/var/log/messages messages
(Replace x.x.x.x with the IP address of the Radio, which you can
find in Settings/Advanced/Diagnostics/ and inside either the "Wireless
Info" or "Ethernet Info" sub menu)
3. Enter 1234 as password when asked
4. You should get a messages file in the current directory on the PC

The history in the messages file is fairly short, so it's important to
do this as soon as possible after the radio has ended up in "On" state.
Mail the messages file to me or send it to me in a PM and also mention
in the mail/PM approximately which time the problem occurred.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70503
Zaphod370
2012-05-12 04:32:24 UTC
erland wrote:
> Which screen savers are you switching between, is it still the same as
> the ones you mentioned earlier in the thread or is it between some
> others this time ?
>
> Are you familiar with ssh/scp so you can login and retrieve the
> /var/log/messages files from the Radio ?

Custom Clock #1: SDT Sports
Custom Clock #2: SDT Weather Farenheit

Yep, been a professional unix admin for 17 years. I'll send the messages
file via email.

vdeknock
2010-05-28 22:52:14 UTC
erland;551063 Wrote:
> Do you have several screens which it continuously switch between or do
> you just have a single screen that varies depending on the time ?

I switch between two screens depending on time.

vdeknock
2010-06-08 01:37:44 UTC
Feature request - with the OFF screen would it be possible to allow the
screen to be changed by the pressing/rotating of a button.

ie using the push feature of the volume button the screen that is
displayed could be cycled through a number of options. That way I can
keep my nice big time display but with a quick press of a button see
the weather or any other display.

I see this as a OFF feature only as this is the only time the buttons
are not assigned to a task.

Necromancyr
2010-06-13 19:20:03 UTC
vdeknock;553471 Wrote:
> Feature request - with the OFF screen would it be possible to allow the
> screen to be changed by the pressing/rotating of a button.

Second this - I'd like to do the same thing.

--
Necromancyr
Necromancyr's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=37698
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70503
Bernie33
2010-06-22 01:30:53 UTC
I have a new Touch and running Squeezebox server Version: 7.5.1 -
r30836. I've added both
http://erlandplugins.googlecode.com/svn/repository/trunk/testing.xml
and
http://erlandplugins.googlecode.com/svn/repository/trunk/latest.xml
as additional repositories. I'm seeing 15 things list in the "lastest"
repository and four things in the testing repository, but I am not
seeing Screen Switcher listed in either place.

I can download the May 24, 2010 version of Screen Switcher from
http://erland.homeip.net/download/do/viewapplicationwithmenu?name=slimserver-screenswitcher
but I don't know what to do with it after I unzip it.

Thanks,
Bernie

erland
2010-06-22 06:04:52 UTC
Bernie33;556904 Wrote:
> I have a new Touch and running Squeezebox server Version: 7.5.1 -
> r30836. I've added both
> http://erlandplugins.googlecode.com/svn/repository/trunk/testing.xml
> and
> http://erlandplugins.googlecode.com/svn/repository/trunk/latest.xml
> as additional repositories. I'm seeing 15 things list in the "lastest"
> repository and four things in the testing repository, but I am not
> seeing Screen Switcher listed in either place.
>
> I can download the May 24, 2010 version of Screen Switcher from
> http://erland.homeip.net/download/do/viewapplicationwithmenu?name=slimserver-screenswitcher
> but I don't know what to do with it after I unzip it.
>
> Thanks,
> Bernie

Screen Switcher is an applet, not a plugin. Are you looking on your
Touch/Radio/Duet in the "Settings/Advanced/Applet Installer" menu ?
You also have to select to show all applets and not just the
recommended ones by changing the setting for this in

Bernie33
2010-06-22 21:44:10 UTC
erland;556924 Wrote:
> Screen Switcher is an applet, not a plugin. Are you looking on your
> Touch/Radio/Duet in the "Settings/Advanced/Applet Installer" menu ?
> You also have to select to show all applets and not just the
> recommended ones by changing the setting for this in
> "Settings/Advanced/Applet Installer"
Thanks for the tip, and for the applet. I now have the applet
installed and have figured out how to use it.

My next problem is that I had hoped to use the Michael Herger's
PhotoGallery plugin as one of my screen savers. I have that plugin
installed and it has been working fine, but that is not one of the
options that I can choose when selecting screensavers within Screen
Switcher.

Bernie

erland
2010-06-23 05:46:27 UTC
Bernie33;557202 Wrote:

> My next problem is that I had hoped to use the Michael Herger's
> PhotoGallery plugin as one of my screen savers. I have that plugin
> installed and it has been working fine, but that is not one of the
> options that I can choose when selecting screensavers within Screen
> Switcher.

Isn't there a screen saver named the same way as the favorite you have
configured in PhotoGallery ?

All screen savers that are available as normal screen savers should be
available through Screen Switcher, let me know if it's available as a
normal screen saver but not in Screen Switcher because then we have a
bug somewhere.

If I remember correctly, there is also a style in Custom Clock applet
that shows random images from the PhotoGallery plugin.

Bernie33
2010-06-23 06:22:26 UTC
erland;557284 Wrote:
> Isn't there a screen saver named the same way as the favorite you have
> configured in PhotoGallery ?
>
> All screen savers that are available as normal screen savers should be
> available through Screen Switcher, let me know if it's available as a
> normal screen saver but not in Screen Switcher because then we have a
> bug somewhere.
>
> If I remember correctly, there is also a style in Custom Clock applet
> that shows random images from the PhotoGallery plugin.
No, not that I can see.

The Picture Gallery plugin shows up under Extras, and it shows up both
on the device and on the server web interface, but not as a choice with
Screen Switcher.

To get to Screen Switcher, on the Touch I go to Settings > Screen >
Screensavers > Screen Switcher Settings. From there I can choose a
status and then Screensaver. My choices then are None, five different
clocks, Favorite Pictures, five Flickr variations, Image Viewer, Now
Playing, and Screen Off. The Picture Gallery plugin is not a choice.

erland
2010-06-23 07:03:54 UTC
Bernie33;557289 Wrote:
> No, not that I can see.
>
> The Picture Gallery plugin shows up under Extras, and it shows up both
> on the device and on the server web interface, but not as a choice with
> Screen Switcher.
>
> To get to Screen Switcher, on the Touch I go to Settings > Screen >
> Screensavers > Screen Switcher Settings. From there I can choose a
> status and then Screensaver. My choices then are None, five different
> clocks, Favorite Pictures, five Flickr variations, Image Viewer, Now
> Playing, and Screen Off. The Picture Gallery plugin is not a choice.

I think it might be "Favorite Pictures" but I'm not completely sure.
Ask in the Picture Gallery thread and I'm sure Michael who is the
developer of the Picture Gallery plugin might be able to give you an
answer. Just ask how you use Picture Gallery as a screen saver on
Touch/Radio/Duet.

Michael Herger
2010-06-23 07:09:23 UTC
> I think it might be "Favorite Pictures" but I'm not completely sure.
> Ask in the Picture Gallery thread and I'm sure Michael who is the
> developer of the Picture Gallery plugin might be able to give you an
> answer. Just ask how you use Picture Gallery as a screen saver on
> Touch/Radio/Duet.

Please note that there's currently no way to push new screensavers to the device, once it has connected to the server. Thus if you've created the lists after the player had connected, it might be they don't show up. Try restarting your player and see whether they then show up.

Michael
Bernie33
2010-06-23 17:38:50 UTC
mherger;557296 Wrote:
> > I think it might be "Favorite Pictures" but I'm not completely sure.
> > Ask in the Picture Gallery thread and I'm sure Michael who is the
> > developer of the Picture Gallery plugin might be able to give you an
> > answer. Just ask how you use Picture Gallery as a screen saver on
> > Touch/Radio/Duet.
>
> Please note that there's currently no way to push new screensavers to
> the device, once it has connected to the server. Thus if you've created
> the lists after the player had connected, it might be they don't show
> up. Try restarting your player and see whether they then show up.
>
> --
>
> Michael
I've rebooted the Touch. No difference.

I don't understand some of what you said. Both Photo Gallery and
Screen Switcher are installed on the device. Both work. But Screen
Switcher does not see Photo Gallery as one of the things that it can
use.

I am new to using the Squeezebox software and devices, but I suspect
the problem is that the Switcher is only seeing (or listing) Applets
but Photo Gallery is a Plugin.

Bernie

Michael Herger
2010-06-24 04:28:02 UTC
> I don't understand some of what you said. Both Photo Gallery and
> Screen Switcher are installed on the device. Both work. But Screen
> Switcher does not see Photo Gallery as one of the things that it can
> use.

Ah, ok, was confused. Maybe Screen Switcher gets initialized before
Gallery?

Michael
erland
2010-06-24 16:22:27 UTC
Bernie33;557417 Wrote:
> I've rebooted the Touch. No difference.
>
> I don't understand some of what you said. Both Photo Gallery and
> Screen Switcher are installed on the device. Both work. But Screen
> Switcher does not see Photo Gallery as one of the things that it can
> use.

Does any screen savers from Picture Gallery show up in the following
menu ?
Settings/Screen/Screensavers/When off

If they don't this is some issue with Picture Gallery plugin.
If they show up in the above menu, it might have something to do with
Screen Switcher.

Bernie33
2010-06-24 17:37:18 UTC
erland;557676 Wrote:
> Does any screen savers from Picture Gallery show up in the following
> menu ?
> Settings/Screen/Screensavers/When off
>
> If they don't this is some issue with Picture Gallery plugin.
> If they show up in the above menu, it might have something to do with
> Screen Switcher.
No, Picture Gallery is not one of the options there.

Picture Gallery is only available via Extras.

Michael Herger
2010-06-24 17:44:15 UTC
> No, Picture Gallery is not one of the options there.

It's not "Picture Gallery", but the name of your favorite. None of them are there? Are you using any non-latin characters in your favorite names?

Michael
Bernie33
2010-06-24 18:28:23 UTC
mherger;557702 Wrote:
> > No, Picture Gallery is not one of the options there.
>
> It's not "Picture Gallery", but the name of your favorite. None of them
> are there? Are you using any non-latin characters in your favorite
> names?
>
> --
>
> Michael
In Picture Gallery, I have it pointing to a folder. I haven't been
using Favorites.

I just set a couple of Favorites and Picture Gallery can show them.
But I still can't find a way to make it work with Screen Switcher.

Here is how I now have things set for both Screen Switcher and Picture
Gallery and Screen Saver. This doesn't work properly.

Extras > Picture Gallery > Favorite Pictures (If this is all I choose,
and the Touch is turned on, Picture Gallery works as expected.)

Settings > Screen > Screensavers > When Off > Screen Switcher

Settings > Screen > Screensavers > Screen Switcher Settings When Off #1
> Enable

Settings > Screen > Screensavers > Screen Switcher Settings When Off #1
> Start time > 11:00 AM

Settings > Screen > Screensavers > Screen Switcher Settings When Off #1
> End time> 11:59 PM

Settings > Screen > Screensavers > Screen Switcher Settings When Off #1
> Screen 1 > Screensaver > Digital Clock (Black)

Settings > Screen > Screensavers > Screen Switcher Settings When Off #1

Screen 2 > Screensaver > Image Viewer >>>THIS IS THE PROBLEM.<<<

If I set that last step to Image Viewer the Touch changes to say
"Current playlist Nothing"

If I turn the Touch off the screen switches between displaying the
clock and trying to load pictures but gives an error message saying "No
images found"

Bernie

Michael Herger
2010-06-24 21:03:16 UTC
> In Picture Gallery, I have it pointing to a folder. I haven't been
> using Favorites.

That might explain the lack of screensavers.

> I just set a couple of Favorites and Picture Gallery can show them.
> But I still can't find a way to make it work with Screen Switcher.

As I've mentioned earlier in this thread you might need to restart the SB Touch in order to update the screensaver list. That's a limitation of SB Touch's software (which I hopefully will lift for the next firmware release).

Michael
Bernie33
2010-06-24 21:26:22 UTC
mherger;557757 Wrote:
> > In Picture Gallery, I have it pointing to a folder. I haven't been
> > using Favorites.
>
> That might explain the lack of screensavers.

Nope. As I mentioned, did create several Picture Gallery Favorites but
it didn't help.

> > I just set a couple of Favorites and Picture Gallery can show them.
> > But I still can't find a way to make it work with Screen Switcher.
>
> As I've mentioned earlier in this thread you might need to restart the
> SB Touch in order to update the screensaver list. That's a limitation
> of SB Touch's software (which I hopefully will lift for the next
> firmware release).

I did that again, but it doesn't help either. Sounds like I'll have to
wait until the next release of the server and now you also mention a
firmware update as well. After those events, if the problem persists,
should I bring this up again in the Picture Gallery thread, or is this
still as good a place?

Bernie

erland
2010-06-25 03:52:10 UTC
Bernie33;557765 Wrote:

> Settings > Screen > Screensavers > Screen Switcher Settings When Off #1
> >
> Screen 2 > Screensaver > Image Viewer >>>THIS IS THE PROBLEM.<<<
>
> If I set that last step to Image Viewer the Touch changes to say
> "Current playlist Nothing"

Ok, this particular problem sounds like a Screen Switcher problem, I
assume you are using the latest version of Screen Switcher ?
I fixed some issue regarding the Image Viewer screen savers a few weeks
ago.
What version does it indicate in the Settings > Advanced > Applet
Installer menu ?

I also assume that you have tried to use the "Image Viewer" as a
standard screen saver by selecting it directly inside:
Settings > Screen > Screensavers > When Off >

If it doesn't work as a standard screen saver it won't work within
Screen Switcher.

Bernie33;557765 Wrote:

> I did that again, but it doesn't help either. Sounds like I'll have to
> wait until the next release of the server and now you also mention a
> firmware update as well. After those events, if the problem persists,
> should I bring this up again in the Picture Gallery thread, or is this
> still as good a place?

As long as you don't see any Picture Gallery favorites in the following
menu, it's a Picture Gallery or firmware/SBS problem, it's then better
to discuss it in the Picture Gallery thread:
Settings > Screen > Screensavers > When Off >

If you see them in the above menu but not in the following menu it's
some Screen Switcher problem and should be discussed in this thread:
Settings > Screen > Screensavers > Screen Switcher Settings > When Off

Bernie33
2010-06-25 05:16:41 UTC
erland;557818 Wrote:
> Ok, this particular problem sounds like a Screen Switcher problem, I
> assume you are using the latest version of Screen Switcher ?
> I fixed some issue regarding the Image Viewer screen savers a few weeks
> ago.
> What version does it indicate in the Settings > Advanced > Applet
> Installer menu ?
I am using Screen Switcher 1.1.3202.

> I also assume that you have tried to use the "Image Viewer" as a
> standard screen saver by selecting it directly inside:
> Settings > Screen > Screensavers > When Off >

Until just now I had only used Picture Gallery to displays pictures,
because it displays pictures from the computer where the SB server is
running. Image Viewer requires that the pictures be stored on a
webserver or on a USB device (or memory card). At least that is how I
understand it. I was trying to use pictures from the computer.

To test, I just plugged in a USB drive and Image Viewer displays the
pictures from that device. Screen Switcher also works properly with
Image Viewer when the USB device is plugged in.

> If it doesn't work as a standard screen saver it won't work within
> Screen Switcher.
>

> As long as you don't see any Picture Gallery favorites in the following
> menu, it's a Picture Gallery or firmware/SBS problem, it's then better
> to discuss it in the Picture Gallery thread:
> Settings > Screen > Screensavers > When Off >

That is exactly the problem. I have no way to see the photos that
Picture Gallery would retrieve/send from the SB server if I choose that
route. Picture Gallery only works if I go to Extras > Picture Gallery.

> If you see them in the above menu but not in the following menu it's
> some Screen Switcher problem and should be discussed in this thread:
> Settings > Screen > Screensavers > Screen Switcher Settings > When Off
> #1 > Screen 1 >

With the USB device plugged in, Screen Switcher and Image Viewer work
as they should. Just apparently no way to have Screen Switcher and
Picture Gallery talk to each other.

I suspect that I have to live with that, at least for now. Thanks.

Bernie

imbalancedzero
2010-07-31 02:49:12 UTC
Where has this gone? I can no longer use it as it has disappeared from
the repo I think? It no longer shows up in Server Settings?

A load of other plugins are missing too? Do you have any idea where
they have gone?

Many Thanks

--
imbalancedzero
imbalancedzero's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=39574
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70503
erland
2010-07-31 03:24:52 UTC
imbalancedzero;565533 Wrote:
> Where has this gone? I can no longer use it as it has disappeared from
> the repo I think? It no longer shows up in Server Settings?
>
> A load of other plugins are missing too? Do you have any idea where
> they have gone?
>
> Many Thanks

Screen Switcher is an applet and will only be shown in the
Settings/Advanced/Applet Installer menu directly on a
Touch/Radio/Controller(Duet remote).

For the others possible reasons might be:
- You haven't change the setting to display all plugins/applets and not
just the recommended ones (There is a checkbox for this in SBS
Settings/Plugins and on Touch/Radio/Controller in
Settings/Advanced/Applet Installer)
- You are using a 7.6 nightly release of SBS which doesn't support all
plugins/applets yet.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70503
imbalancedzero
2010-07-31 03:44:01 UTC
I have checked all of those 3rd party ticked, only a few applets of
yours show on the server settings plugin tab on the browser, using
7.5.2, it was there the other day but I restarted and now it's gone (I
had to start over and delete all settings as it was crashing after
restarting), but its still on the squeezeboxes, but won't grab any
photos because it's disappeared and I can no longer install to the
server. Custom clock helper is there with a few others

imbalancedzero
2010-07-31 03:59:13 UTC
These show available to download

Custom browse
Custom scan
Custom skip
Database query
Dynamic playlist
Multi library
Playlist generator
Song info
Song lyrics
SQL playlist
Trackstat
Trackstat playlist

I've managed to install
Custom clock helper
Information screen
Squeezeplay admin

imbalancedzero
2010-07-31 18:45:04 UTC
Sorry I think it might be my bad, I've been using a squeezeplay model
for a touchscreen device in the UK called the O2 Joggler. It has the
same resolution as the touch, I think I must have manually installed it
when i first set it up without realising and gone thru SSH.

So Erland, just so I understand, SBS will not show plugins unless a
compatible device is found?

If so can you add ScreenSwitcher so it's recognised as compatible for
squeezeplay as it's certainly working for me!

erland
2010-07-31 21:35:19 UTC
imbalancedzero;565731 Wrote:

> So Erland, just so I understand, SBS will not show plugins unless a
> compatible device is found?

SBS will show all plugins in SBS Settings/Plugins independent which
devices you have connected to it.

imbalancedzero;565731 Wrote:

> If so can you add ScreenSwitcher so it's recognised as compatible for
> squeezeplay as it's certainly working for me!

Screen Switcher is NOT a plugin, it's an applet that only can be
installed through the SqueezePlay interface. It's NOT visible in SBS
Settings/Plugins since it isn't a plugin. To install an applet you goto
Settings/Advanced/Applet Installer in the SqueezePlay user interface.
Screen Switcher should be shown if you are using SqueezePlay 7.4 or
later and if you have selected to show all applets and not just the
recommended ones. You select to show all applets through a checkbox in
Settings/Advanced/Applet Installer in the SqueezePlay interface.

mrMuppet
2010-09-07 11:19:20 UTC
I would like to have a screensaver showing flickr-pics depending on the
artist playing (like the Flickr-function in the context-menu).
In the normal screensaver menu i find only other
Flickr-picture-collection (like "new" or "interresting" etc... but not
the one matching to the playing Artinst.

Can i do this with the screen switcher?

--
mrMuppet
mrMuppet's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=34722
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70503
erland
2010-09-07 16:47:44 UTC
mrMuppet;574955 Wrote:
> I would like to have a screensaver showing flickr-pics depending on the
> artist playing (like the Flickr-function in the context-menu).
> In the normal screensaver menu i find only other
> Flickr-picture-collection (like "new" or "interresting" etc... but not
> the one matching to the playing Artinst.
>
> Can i do this with the screen switcher?

There is currently no support for Flickr, but if you install the Song
Info plugin in SBS and install Custom Clock + Screen Switcher on your
Radio/Touch, you will be able to show artist images from LastFM of
currently playing artist.

mrMuppet
2010-09-07 18:34:29 UTC
erland;575009 Wrote:
> There is currently no support for Flickr, but if you install the Song
> Info plugin in SBS and install Custom Clock + Screen Switcher on your
> Radio/Touch, you will be able to show artist images from LastFM of
> currently playing artist.

Thanks for that idea! That should be what i wanted... but how can i
activate it? I installed it and changed the "setting section" . And
now? Can't find "Song info" in the settings of the radio...

warrwirr
2010-09-10 13:50:35 UTC
I have installed the screen switcher applet on my new SBT. Then I filled
in the settings carefully (e.g. When off #1: Enable, Weekdays, Start
time, End time, Screen 1....). But nothing happens around the clock.
What may be wrong?

--
warrwirr
warrwirr's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=21460
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70503
erland
2010-09-10 16:18:34 UTC
warrwirr;575680 Wrote:
> I have installed the screen switcher applet on my new SBT. Then I filled
> in the settings carefully (e.g. When off #1: Enable, Weekdays, Start
> time, End time, Screen 1....). But nothing happens around the clock.
> What may be wrong?

Did you configure Screen Switcher as the screen saver in
"Settings/Screen/Screensavers/When Playing" or in "When stopped" or in
"When off" menu ?