[SlimDevices: Plugins] ANNOUNCE: AirPlay Bridge = integrate AirPlay devices with LMS (squeeze2raop)
philippe_44
2016-02-16 05:22:35 UTC
After lots of tests and help (especially from epoch, thanks!) I can
release a first version of a new bridge that allows AirPlay devices to
be used as is they were regular LMS players. Compared to my other
bridges, it brings replaygain, gapless, fading (in/out/cross) and ...
what was the most important for me: synchronization with other LMS
players.

- It does decode mp3, flac, aac, pcm and aif, do the resample and then
send the audio in the AirPlay expected format.
- It consumes 5~7% of CPU for a raspi 2B per active AirPlay device
- There are Windows, Linux x86 (32 and 64 bits) and ARM, OSX
- It can run on LMS or on another computer on your network (for
example you can dedicate a raspi as the bridge and forget about it)
- You need to add firewall rules to let squeeze2raop (-win or -x86 or
-x86_64 or -armv6hf) open the ports he needs (and they are dynamic).
In Windows, just set a rule to authorize squeeze2raop-win.exe (in the
plugin cache directory)

The stable repository is
http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/lms-plugins-philippe44/repo-sf.xml
and the dev one is
http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/projects/lms-to-raop/dev/repo-sf.xml

Once you have started the plugin, allow 15-60s for players to appear.
For synchronisation, you need to adjust once your player delay in the
LMS player settings (not in the plugin setting page). Once you have
found the right delay, it should be pretty stable (I never had to adjust
mine on my 2 players, they are 375ms) - I've added a quick manual ...
have a look at it

Other notes :
- If the player seems to be un-responsive, before
de-activating/re-activating the whole plugin, you can try to switch it
off then back on in LMS
- One of my player takes a lot of time to start playing (>5s and volume
changes interrupt playback - itunes gives the same result, so I assume
this is a player problem. So be patient if the volume does not comes
right after playback. Other players will start and when this one joins
the group, it will be in sync
- This is still early phase and was much more complicated than what I
was expecting at the begining, so please be patient with me :)

LMS 7.7.5 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos 2xPLAY:1,
PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBMC, Foobar2000, XBoxOne,
JRiver 21, Chromecast Audio, Chromecast v1, Pi B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+,
Odroid-C1, Cubie2
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=105198
epoch1970
2016-02-16 10:46:10 UTC
Booohoohoohoooo... I've removed my dev install and now I get redirection
limit exceeded when I try any of the 2 repo urls :(
(so LMS always wants to restart to finish install and fails and asks
again for a restart...)

I messed about with things like "curl
http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/projects/lms-to-raop/dev/repo-sf.xml"
until I landed on the final redirection, in my case
"http://freefr.dl.sourceforge.net/project/lms-to-raop/dev/repo-sf.xml"
--as of right now. Don't try this URL.
But the problem is that your repo file contains a link to iweb for the
zip file...

Sourceforge is in a serious state of flux, shall we say...
Perhaps it's time to revert to manual install instructions?

I'll try again later, perhaps the weather will clear up a little bit.
But I thought I'd post in case others encounter an issue with
installing.

4 SB 3 • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • Squeezebox Server 7.9 (linux) with
plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster
by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart
Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger •
PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland
Isaksson • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • ShairTunes2 by disaster123 •
Local Player by Triode • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by
Peter Watkins.
epoch1970's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=16711
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=105198
castalla
2016-02-16 13:35:07 UTC
Using version 0.1.0.1 (no idea anymore if it's the stable or dev !!!) -
but still getting the sound loss after random time, with restart stream
recovering the sound.

Touch - Muse M50 EX TPA3123 T-Amp Mini - Acoustics Q10 speakers
Logitech Radio
Logitech UE Radio
O2 Joggler + SqpOS + Aune X2 T-amp + Mordaunt Short ms-3.40 speakers
UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers
UPnPBridge - Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker
UPnPBridge - Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker
UPnPBridge - PURE One Flow internet radio
Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
SB Player - Fire TV
castalla's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=15624
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=105198
epoch1970
2016-02-16 14:19:29 UTC
Something I did to find the "right" value of player audio delay: I
created an AIFF file with alternating 2secs L/R tones, for a total
length of 60 secs.
I set an SB3 to play only the right channel, [I wanted to do the
opposite with the software player but I always got both channels output]
I half-unplugged the audio cord on my Airport Express to output the left
channel only.
Then I synced the group, played the file in loop and fiddled with the
audio delay slider on the software player.
Until you reach the right value to your setup and ears, you'll hear a
silence gap and/or both sources at the same time.
To my surprise, the right value for this device was around 400ms (nearly
50ms higher than I thought)
I don't know what you think of the idea but if felt I needed some help
in assessing the right audio delay.

4 SB 3 • Libratone Loop mk.2 • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • Squeezebox Server
7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by
bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon
Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael
Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by
Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin
Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.
philippe_44
2016-02-17 03:08:49 UTC
Post by epoch1970
Something I did to find the "right" value of player audio delay: I
created an AIFF file with alternating 2secs L/R tones, for a total
length of 60 secs.
I set an SB3 to play only the right channel, [I wanted to do the
opposite with the software player but I always got both channels output]
I half-unplugged the audio cord on my Airport Express to output the left
channel only.
Then I synced the group, played the file in loop and fiddled with the
audio delay slider on the software player.
Until you reach the right value to your setup and ears, you'll hear a
silence gap and/or both sources at the same time.
To my surprise, the right value for this device was around 400ms (nearly
50ms higher than I thought)
I don't know what you think of the idea but if felt I needed some help
in assessing the right audio delay.
EDIT. Since we are knee-deep into psychoacoustics, another remark, but
within the same post ;)
I have 1 source to the left of a small room where I am sitting and 1
source on the right, nearby. Speaker systems are *not* the same. Sync is
perfect but I can feel the "stage" shifting from left to right (and
back) from time to time. Yeah, I know that's scary... I think (not
verified) this is related to 10ms player sync adjustment events within
LMS. 10ms is the minimum value in the web interface. Is it possible to
go lower?
Please disregard if this doesn't make sense.
There is another option which is to indicate to LMS that each "sampling
point" are not 'fully' accurate and must be averaged out. This is an
option you can set when the player is being registered. The result is
probably that LMS will do adjustement more slowly but that would prevent
that effect from happening. Today, I can't do below 10ms as I'm using
"sample point" every 8 ms to LMS, so ther accuracy is +/-8ms. Again,
mean is centered but if you take every point for an accurate value, then
LMS might do shift a bit too often (you can see in the log that there
are often adjustement of "skip 441 frames = 441/44100 = 10ms)

philippe_44
2016-02-17 06:25:57 UTC
Post by epoch1970
Booohoohoohoooo... I've removed my dev install and now I get redirection
limit exceeded when I try any of the 2 repo urls :(
(so LMS always wants to restart to finish install and fails and asks
again for a restart...)
Sourceforge is in a serious state of flux, shall we say...
Perhaps it's time to revert to manual install instructions?
(BTW, since I can't really live without the plugin, I started my test
machine which still has dev-11... ]/QUOTE]
My Bad ...
I noticed your sox magic does not seem to work with remote library
URLs.)> >
I don't quite understand
epoch1970
2016-02-17 20:04:56 UTC
First thing first, dev-12 works great for me.
Post by philippe_44
There is another option which is to indicate to LMS that each "sampling
point" are not 'fully' accurate and must be averaged out. This is an
option you can set when the player is being registered. The result is
probably that LMS will do adjustement more slowly but that would prevent
that effect from happening...
I have looked into the logs, and I can correlate the audible "soundstage
shifts" in my sync group (SB3 and AE, wired, 3 meters apart) to
Slim::Player::StreamingController::_CheckSync "resync:" events.

I noticed that when the SB3 resyncs, typically at the beginning of a
song, usually no audible shift happen afterwards. If the software player
resyncs first at the beginning of a song, usually the SB3 will resync
moments later, with an audible shift.
With the SB3, resync logging and audible shift happen at the same time.
With the software player, the audible effect seems to be delayed by the
value of the network buffer option.
I also looked at an SB3 sync group, one wired and one wifi; resync
events are a rarity, even over track changes.

I tried setting the "Minimum Synchronization Adjustment (ms)" option to
1000 on my software player to see the typical values of "playPoints:",
then set it to 30ms, most playPoints being under this value. This
removed the audible "shifts", but degraded sync quality.

The exercise is probably vain. With sources something about 6 m. apart
instead of 3 m., when a sync event happens I cannot perceive any audible
shift. And I ran this test on my "soft" LMS VM machine anyway.

I did not resist ordering a Zipp mini any longer... Can't wait to put it
in service as a stand-alone squeezebox :)

philippe_44
2016-02-18 06:51:44 UTC
First thing first, 0.1.0.2-dev-1 works great for me.
[...]
I've made 0.1.0.2 the stable version (I think it deserves its name this
time). I've also added a 0.1.0.3-dev-1 for you in whihc I don't tell to
LMS that my "sample points" (reporting time") are accurate, so LMS has
to do a bit of averaging before changing sync. It seems to me that the
phase shift effect has diseappeared (probably at the expense of a slower
de-sync recovery when a spike happens). Let me know what you think

epoch1970
2016-02-18 09:28:19 UTC
I've also added a 0.1.0.3-dev-1 for you in which I don't tell to LMS
that my "sample points" (reporting time) are accurate .... Let me know
what you think
Fantastic! Will do!

epoch1970
2016-02-16 14:28:13 UTC
Post by castalla
Using version 0.1.0.1 (no idea anymore if it's the stable or dev !!!) -
but still getting the sound loss after random time, with restart stream
recovering the sound.
I think this is the stable version. Are you using a 1000ms network
buffer in the plugin? This is the recommended setting, but I you had
installed an earlier dev version this was set by default at 500ms.
At 500ms the player is more reactive to commands, but I've seen drops.

castalla
2016-02-16 14:42:21 UTC
Post by epoch1970
I think this is the stable version. Are you using a 1000ms network
buffer in the plugin? This is the recommended setting, but I you had
installed an earlier dev version this was set by default at 500ms.
At 500ms the player is more reactive to commands, but I've seen drops.
EDIT: The path is: Settings>Advanced>Airplay Bridge,
then [Default parameters] or your_player_name,
look for AirPlay options: Networking buffer (ms)
Buffer already at 1000. Just experienced another sound loss ...

epoch1970
2016-02-16 14:56:03 UTC
Post by castalla
Buffer already at 1000. Just experienced another sound loss ...
I suppose you're on wifi? How does it fare wrt to ping regularity
(latency) and bandwidth?
In the guide, philippe_44 says "Network bandwidth and CPU: this requires
1.4Mbits/s per player (plus some overhead), so this puts a fair amount
of constraints on your network and CPU"

I've been using the plugin with an Airport Express (wired), a Loop
(sitting 2m away from the AE) and an AppleTV 1 (2 walls away from the
AE.) The Loop is unable to work properly, Airplay bridge or not, when
signal strength dips noticeably under 60%. The Apple TV 1 seems much
more resilient.
As for ping, the LMS server on my network pings the Loop on wifi around
2ms on average, but the max is near 10ms (and on my usual VM server max
is 30ms.)
In this environment, little to no drops for me.

castalla
2016-02-16 15:01:56 UTC
Post by epoch1970
I suppose you're on wifi? How does it fare wrt to ping regularity
(latency) and bandwidth?
In the guide, philippe_44 says "Network bandwidth and CPU: this requires
1.4Mbits/s per player (plus some overhead), so this puts a fair amount
of constraints on your network and CPU"
I've been using the plugin with an Airport Express (wired), a Loop
(sitting 2m away from the AE) and an AppleTV 1 (2 walls away from the
AE.) The Loop is unable to work properly, Airplay bridge or not, when
signal strength dips noticeably under 60%. The Apple TV 1 seems much
more resilient.
As for ping, the LMS server on my network pings the Loop on wifi around
2ms on average, but the max is near 10ms (and on my usual VM server max
is 30ms.)
In this environment, little to no drops for me.
Same player on upnpbridge has no dropouts. On wifi.

philippe_44
2016-02-16 20:11:02 UTC
Post by castalla
Same player on upnpbridge has no dropouts. On wifi.
The difficulty is that players tend to buffer much more when being
driven through UPnP. Do you have a log of the AirPlay Bridge ?

castalla
2016-02-16 20:31:46 UTC
Post by philippe_44
The difficulty is that players tend to buffer much more when being
driven through UPnP. Do you have a log of the AirPlay Bridge ?
No log - I can try one later.

philippe_44
2016-02-17 06:32:34 UTC
Post by castalla
Same player on upnpbridge has no dropouts. On wifi.
No log - I can try one later.
edit: here's a log - probably not much use as the stream didn't stop
after 1 hour. The random nature of the dropouts will make this issue a
drag to pin down
I think you put me on the rigth track ... if a player has enough to
buffer PCM in UPnP mode, it should be able to do the same with AirPlay.
So going small buffer was the wrong direction (I did that at the
beginning because I was misleading by another bug). So I think now the
problem is an overload I was creating on the host & guest UDP/IP stacks
by sending audio too quickly. I've now paced that much more efficiently
and it has been flawless on my system since then. Increase the buffer to
at least 3000 ms and then try again. Use version 0.1.0.2-dev-1, this is
the only version where it works. Your feedback would be highly
appreciated !

castalla
2016-02-17 09:09:32 UTC
I think you put me on the right track ... if a player has enough to
buffer PCM in UPnP mode, it should be able to do the same with AirPlay.
So going small buffer was the wrong direction (I did that at the
beginning because I was mislead by another bug). So I think now the
problem is an overload I was creating on the host & guest UDP/IP stacks
by sending audio too quickly. I've now paced that much more efficiently
and it has been flawless on my system since then. Increase the buffer to
at least 3000 ms and then try again. Use version 0.1.0.2-dev-1 in the
dev repository, this is the only version where it works. Your feedback
would be highly appreciated !
Testing now ..

One thing I've noticed - I have to start a stream twice to get any
sound when the device is first discovered.

castalla

philippe_44
2016-02-18 06:57:43 UTC
Post by castalla
Testing now ..
One thing I've noticed - I have to start a stream twice to get any
sound when the device is first discovered.
I think I've found why (an optimization to avoid sending silence when
nothing has to be played) - I'll correct that soon

philippe_44
2016-02-17 01:24:49 UTC
Post by epoch1970
[...]
machine which still has dev-11... I noticed your sox magic does not seem
to work with remote library URLs.)
Damm it ... there is no 's' on /project/ and I had to do that mistake on
that 1st post of that thread :mad: :mad: :mad: