[SlimDevices: Plugins] BBCiPlayer Plugins - an alternative quick fix guide
PasTim
2015-03-31 20:32:35 UTC
With the recent changes to the BBC Internet Radio streams, two sets of
solutions have been developed by the amazing people here on the LMS
forum.

The first uses a new plugin called 'PlayHLS' and some related fixes.
This set of solutions is described in the thread starting at
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?103312-BBCiPlayer-plugin-a-guick-fix-guide&p=811346&viewfull=1#post811346.

A second set of solutions has been developed by Triode and bpa,
requiring two updated plugins (including one updated on 31st March
2015), coming from two new 'repositories'. This set of solutions
provides one method of playing Live streams, and two separate ways of
listening to 'On Demand' (Listen Again) streams. I find the two
different techniques for searching for previous programmes both have
their uses, so I use both. There are also some differences in the
quality provided for Radio 3 On Demand.

I hope to keep this first post up to date with corrections and
improvements where possible, and would prefer that the thread doesn't
grow too much, otherwise it becomes almost impossible for people to
follow. I therefore ask that if you have any corrections or suggestions
(polite or otherwise), please pm me in the first instance and I'll try
to edit this post.

I have assumed use of the 'Default' interface on the LMS GUI.

1) INSTALL UPDATED 'ALPHA' VERSION OF TRIODE'S BBC IPLAYER PLUGIN -
VERSION V1.3.1ALPHA3 (LATEST ON 31ST MARCH 2015 INCORPORATING MANY
IMPROVEMENTS OVER ALPHA2)

- Go to the Settings, Plugins page on the LMS GUI.
- Go to 'Additional Repositories' near the bottom. If this is not
available, there should be an option to enable third party plugins.
Tick this, and press 'Apply' at bottom right.
- Add the following line to the list of additional repositories:

Code:
--------------------

http://triodeplugins.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/testrepo.xml

--------------------

- Press 'Apply' at bottom right.
- Restart LMS.
- You should now find that either the new BBCiPlayer plugin is now
already available and installed, or there is a box you can tick near the
bottom of the plugins list (under "Triode's Squeezecenter Plugins (Test
Versions)") to make it available on the next LMS restart. If the
latter, tick it and restart LMS.

2) INSTALL UPDATED VERSION OF BPA'S BBC IPLAYER EXTRAS PLUGIN - VERSION
V1.8

Repeat the instructions in step 1 except use the repository below, and
ensure that the BBC iPlayer Extras plugin version 1.8 is selected and
installed.

Code:
--------------------

http://bpaplugins.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/repo-short.xml

--------------------

The plugin will wither be installed straight away after a restart, or
you need to tick it against "bpa's Squeezecenter Plugins Short".

This method of listening to On Demand streams usually provides a better
quality stream for Radio 3.

3) IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS THERE ARE TWO SETS OF OPTIONS TO CHECK:

a) Go to Settings, Advanced, BBC iPlayer. Unless you have a good reason
not to, the 1st two options should read HLS > MP3 > FlashAAC > FlashMP3

b) Go to Settings, Advanced, File Types. Under AAC you should have

Code:
--------------------

AAC Native
FLAC faad/flac
MP3 faad/lame (assuming you have already installed lame for MP3s)
PCM faad

--------------------

Some have found that there can be a pitch change if your system is
set up in a way that it uses AAC to PCM, so you could try disabling PCM
in this list if that happens to you.

*4)* In the UK using BBC iPlayer you can now listen to high quality Live
streams of almost all stations, and moderate quality On Demand streams.
Outside the UK the quality is reduced, but at least the stations mostly
exist. Using BBC iPlayer Extras you can find On Demand streams in a
different way, and listen to high quality Radio 3 programmes.

*5)* Send thanks to bpa, Triode, utgg, bonze, Parky, and many others who
have contributed patches and suggestions that have led to the current
stable solution.

*6)* I have tried to resist proving much technical information in this
description. I will therefore just add that Triode's BBC iPlayer plugin
uses 'HLS' as a streaming protocol, which the BBC have been talking a
lot about, and should exist for some time to come. bpa's BBC iPlayer
Extras plugin uses 'RTMP' as a streaming protocol, which the BBC have
been very quiet about, and might disappear at any time. A third
protocol (MPEG DASH) is promised for the future. As far as I know all
current and planned streams now use the AAC codec. Some legacy streams
have been temporarily provided using MP3, but neither of these LMS
plugins use that.

LMS 7.9 on VortexBox Midi, Xubuntu 14.04, FLACs 16->24 bit,
44.1->192kbps. LMS & Squeeze2upnp to MF M1 CLiC (to MF amp & ESLs) &
Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers. Minimserver (server) & upplay (control
point) to same renderers & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers. Squeezelite to
Meridian USB Explorer DAC to speakers/phones. Wireless Xubuntu 14.04
laptop with firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with
Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver. Have a Touch
with EDO, and a spare, but don't use.
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
NMarshall
2015-04-01 14:35:21 UTC
Thanks guys for the very speedy response. Life without iPlayer on my
Touch is misery.
Neil

NMarshall's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=14924
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
Croz
2015-04-01 16:13:53 UTC
​NMarshall wrote:
> Huge thanks guys for the very speedy response. Life without iPlayer on
> my Touch is misery.
> It's also good to have the programme thumbnails back.
> Neil

.....and thanks from me too, finally managed to get the iPlayer working
on my server after several frustrating weeks of trying to get ffmpeg to
work!

Neil

FLAC->Receiver x 2(wired), Boom(Wireless)and Controller.
Croz's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=21157
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
Justme
2015-04-03 16:30:05 UTC
Thanks from me as well! You guys have helped enormously!

Justme's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=369
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
PasTim
2015-04-05 16:44:12 UTC
For people who are getting buffering or other instability problems,
there have been a number of comments on the BBC blog at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/296ac283-54df-4c21-a38f-8cc1fa8731c8?filter=none#,
mainly by 'off-tune', comment #239.

In short, it will pay to double-check you have a really well-connected
local network. For instance, using Powerline Adaptors can cause
problems.

It seems that for one of the main streaming sources (called Akamai) the
IP address changes frequently, requiring frequent name look-ups using
DNS. These DNS look-ups do not use a guaranteed request/response
exchange of messages. That's fine for normal data because one can just
ask again, and IP addresses usually don't change that fast, but for live
radio (or video) it can be a problem.

So if you do have problems, check your local network thoroughly. It may
be OK for normal internet use but not for the method of streaming using
by Akamai.

If you still have problems, you might want to try a different DNS
server. There are many. You could try Google's at 8.8.8.8.

utgg
2015-04-05 17:30:47 UTC
PasTim wrote:
> For people who are getting buffering or other instability problems,
> there have been a number of comments on the BBC blog at
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/296ac283-54df-4c21-a38f-8cc1fa8731c8?filter=none#,
> mainly by 'off-tune', comment #239.
>
> In short, it will pay to double-check you have a really well-connected
> local network. For instance, using Powerline Adaptors can cause
> problems.
>
> It seems that for one of the main streaming sources (called Akamai) the
> IP address changes frequently, requiring frequent name look-ups using
> DNS. These DNS look-ups do not use a guaranteed request/response
> exchange of messages. That's fine for normal data because one can just
> ask again, and IP addresses usually don't change that fast, but for live
> radio (or video) it can be a problem.
>
> So if you do have problems, check your local network thoroughly. It may
> be OK for normal internet use but not for the method of streaming using
> by Akamai.
>
> If you still have problems, you might want to try a different DNS
> server. There are many. You could try Google's at 8.8.8.8.

FWIW, my LMS machine has always been connected to my router with via
Powerline Network Adapters and I've not seen a hint of this issue, so it
isn't a given that you will have problems with them. But it is
definitely something to consider if you do have problems.

utgg's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=40900
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
Owen Smith
2015-04-05 17:59:37 UTC
I use dnsmasq on a Raspberry Pi as a local DNS cache, referring back to
the Google public DNS servers IPv6 addresses over a true IPv6
connection, this avoids any NAT latency and memory problems in my
router. I switched to this setup because my ISP's own DNS servers often
respond very slowly. It is amazing how well the cache works and how many
cache hits it gets, having turned on dnsmasq logging.

I have turned off the Windows DNS service on both my LMS server (WHS v1)
and my Vista laptop. This removes DNS caching in Windows, because the
Windows cache is awful and has a tendency to hang onto results forever
even if they expire. It may be this Windows keeping results for too long
that is causing some people problems with Akamai.

Owen Smith's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=42371
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
PasTim
2015-04-05 18:38:53 UTC
Owen Smith wrote:
> I use dnsmasq on a Raspberry Pi as a local DNS cache, referring back to
> the Google public DNS servers IPv6 addresses over a true IPv6
> connection, this avoids any NAT latency and memory problems in my
> router. I switched to this setup because my ISP's own DNS servers often
> respond very slowly. It is amazing how well the cache works and how many
> cache hits it gets, having turned on dnsmasq logging.
>
> I have turned off the Windows DNS service on both my LMS server (WHS v1)
> and my Vista laptop. This removes DNS caching in Windows, because the
> Windows cache is awful and has a tendency to hang onto results forever
> even if they expire. It may be this Windows keeping results for too long
> that is causing some people problems with Akamai.
Much of this is over my head. First, I have no idea at all how, or
whether, I can get IPv6 addresses to work with my ISP and router.
Secondly every ubuntu system I've tried to set up seems to have dnsmasq
errors at startup, and I don't understand it all. So all I did was to
set my router/gateway to have one Google and one ISP DNS address.

If there are serious and general steps that many could take to improve
things, this topic might be better of with a new thread.

I thought you liked to keep things 'simple'? :)

Owen Smith
2015-04-05 20:51:54 UTC
PasTim wrote:
> Much of this is over my head. First, I have no idea at all how, or
> whether, I can get IPv6 addresses to work with my ISP and router.
> Secondly every ubuntu system I've tried to set up seems to have dnsmasq
> errors at startup, and I don't understand it all. So all I did was to
> set my router/gateway to have one Google and one ISP DNS address.
>
> If there are serious and general steps that many could take to improve
> things, this topic might be better of with a new thread.
>
> I thought you liked to keep things 'simple'? :)

My ISP's DNS issue were bad enough I couldn't keep things simple.

IPv6 is only an option if your ISP provides it, mine (Andrews and
Arnold) does. It's probably not a big part of the problem, but seemed
worth doing since all I had to do was put in Google DNS's IP6 addresses
rather than IPv4.

dnsmasq never gave me errors on startup on Raspbian, but it's not a
standard package. I had to install it.

The biggest issue as I see it is the rubbish DNS caching in Windows
which ignores all expiry times and just keeps using the cached results.
If addresses change then this goes wrong. Having turned off DNS cachng
in Windows it then looks all names up over broadband every time, and my
broadband is too slow for that to be acceptable. So I needed a computer
to do the caching instead of Windows, and I settled on dnsmasq on the
Pi.

PasTim
2015-04-06 11:39:53 UTC
Owen Smith wrote:
> My ISP's DNS issue were bad enough I couldn't keep things simple.
>
> IPv6 is only an option if your ISP provides it, mine (Andrews and
> Arnold) does. It's probably not a big part of the problem, but seemed
> worth doing since all I had to do was put in Google DNS's IPv6 addresses
> rather than IPv4.
>
> dnsmasq never gave me errors on startup on Raspbian, but it's not a
> standard package. I had to install it.
>
> The biggest issue as I see it is the rubbish DNS caching in Windows
> which ignores all expiry times and just keeps using the cached results.
> If addresses change then this goes wrong. Having turned off DNS cachng
> in Windows it then looks all names up over broadband every time, and my
> broadband is too slow for that to be acceptable. So I needed a computer
> to do the caching instead of Windows, and I settled on dnsmasq on the
> Pi.
Thanks. As a matter of interest how are you doing the caching? Is your
Windows LMS server passing all internet requests through your Pi, or
using it as a local DNS server?

Owen Smith
2015-04-06 20:21:47 UTC
PasTim wrote:
> Thanks. As a matter of interest how are you doing the caching? Is your
> Windows LMS server passing all internet requests through your Pi, or
> using it as a local DNS server?

My Pi's local IPv4 address is given out by the router's DHCP as the DNS
server. So only DNS goes through the Pi, the router is still the gateway
and all other external traffic goes directly there.

Owen Smith
2015-04-13 15:39:08 UTC
I'm now running the new faad.exe on my Windows Home Server v1 box. My
only player is a Duet Receiver so faad.exe is used to play all iPlayer
stuff, live or listen again. I'm running the official LMS 7.8.0
release:

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.8.0 - 1395409907 @ Thu Mar 27 20:19:17
CUT 2014
Hostname: ripnas
Server IP Address: 172.27.151.104
Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
Operating system: Windows Home Server - EN - cp1252
Platform Architecture: 586
Perl Version: 5.14.1 - MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
Total Players Recognized: 2

The second player recognised is SqueezePlay which I run on my laptop to
control the Receiver, but I almost never use SqueezePlay as an actual
player.

So far Radio 2 live is playing fine with the new faad.exe.

stannoo
2015-04-13 20:23:49 UTC
Plea for help from an illiterate. I've installed triode's iPlayer
plugin on the LMS on my Synology NAS. How do I access this on my
Squeezebox Radio?

PS Apologies for the tech ignorance!

stannoo's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=62144
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
castalla
2015-04-13 20:33:16 UTC
stannoo wrote:
> Plea for help from an illiterate. I've installed triode's iPlayer
> plugin on the LMS on my Synology NAS. How do I access this on my
> Squeezebox Radio?
>
> PS Apologies for the tech ignorance!
Choose My Music on main menu ... this should display your LMS device -
choose

On main menu choose Radio - BBCiplayer

Touch - Muse M50 EX TPA3123 T-Amp Mini - Acoustics Q10 speakers
Logitech Radio
Logitech UE Smart Radio
Raspberry Pi + Squeezeplug LMS + Squeezelite
Cubieboard + Debian 7 + LMS 7.8.1 + Squeezelite - Soundwave SW100
bluetooth speaker
O2 Joggler + SqpOS + Aune X2 T-amp + Mordaunt Short ms-3.40 speakers
IBOX + Debian 7 + LMS 7.8.1 + Squeezelite - Soundwave SW100 bluetooth
speaker
Squeeze2upnp - Sonos Play1 & Vistron internet radio (Reciva)
Pure One Flow
castalla's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=15624
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
Owen Smith
2015-04-13 20:39:32 UTC
castalla wrote:
> Choose My Music on main menu ... this should display your LMS device -
> choose
>
> On main menu choose Radio - BBCiplayer

Well I'm a long term SqueezeBox user and I have no idea what your first
line is about. I hope it makes more sense to the original poster, is it
specific to the Radio UI?

castalla
2015-04-13 20:44:46 UTC
Owen Smith wrote:
> Well I'm a long term SqueezeBox user and I have no idea what your first
> line is about. I hope it makes more sense to the original poster, is it
> specific to the Radio UI?

Both Radio and Touch menus have My Music or Music as an option

Owen Smith
2015-04-13 20:59:23 UTC
castalla wrote:
> Both Radio and Touch menus have My Music or Music as an option

So does my Duet Receiver but I have no idea what choosing an LMS device
means. Are you talking about selecting the local LMS instead of
mysb.com, or selecting the particular player?

castalla
2015-04-13 21:10:02 UTC
Owen Smith wrote:
> So does my Duet Receiver but I have no idea what choosing an LMS device
> means. Are you talking about selecting the local LMS instead of
> mysb.com, or selecting the particular player?

if you choose My Music the radio should search for an LMS instance on
the network - well, mine does.

Owen Smith
2015-04-13 21:26:33 UTC
castalla wrote:
> if you choose My Music the radio should search for an LMS instance on
> the network - well, mine does.

This is a bit alien to me, I never use mysb.com (I can't see why I'd
ever want to) I always use my local LMS. And when I first set my Duet
Receiver up it asked for my local LMS installation, so I'm a bit baffled
as to why any LMS playback device wouldn't already know where it is.

That said, I have a working iPlayer Alpha3 plugin setup and so does the
person that asked the question, so this dicussion is a bit pointless. I
see that "My Music" (which I hardly ever use) has an entry at the bottom
for "Switch Library" (which I never use), but the advice said nothing
about "Switch Library" it said "select your LMS device" which is very
ambiguous. I wasn't sure whether it even meant the server or the player.

castalla
2015-04-13 21:33:42 UTC
Owen Smith wrote:
> This is a bit alien to me, I never use mysb.com (I can't see why I'd
> ever want to) I always use my local LMS. And when I first set my Duet
> Receiver up it asked for my local LMS installation, so I'm a bit baffled
> as to why any LMS playback device wouldn't already know where it is.
>
> That said, I have a working iPlayer Alpha3 plugin setup and so does the
> person that asked the question, so this dicussion is a bit pointless. I
> see that "My Music" (which I hardly ever use) has an entry at the bottom
> for "Switch Library" (which I never use), but the advice said nothing
> about "Switch Library" it said "select your LMS device" which is very
> ambiguous. I wasn't sure whether it even meant the server or the player.

Pardon my lack of clarity. Mea culpa x 3.

Man in a van
2015-04-13 23:11:52 UTC
castalla wrote:
> Pardon my lack of clarity. Mea culpa x 3.

Naughty Step for you then :) :p :rolleyes:

Man in a van's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=43627
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
Owen Smith
2015-04-19 16:42:37 UTC
I've been using the new faad.exe from this guide for a week on my WHS v1
LMS 7.8.0 system. My player is a Receiver so all AAC has to be
transcoded. I've been deliberately using AAC streams when I might
normally use higher bit rate MP3. This week I've been listening to:

Classic FM live 48kbps AAC (extensive, a couple of hours most evenings)
AVRO Baroque 64kbps AAC (a couple of hours only)
BBC Radio 2 live HLS 320kbps AAC (an hour or two every morning using
iPlayer alpha3 plugin)
BBC Radio 3 listen again RTMP 320kbps AAC (two Early Music Show episodes
using iPlayerExtras)

I also played all my local ALAC content, which consists of Mike Oldfield
Tubular Bells online release through Bowers & Wilkins.

I shall continue to test the new faad.exe as much as possible.

bpa
2015-04-19 18:49:10 UTC

Owen Smith
2015-04-19 18:55:49 UTC
bpa wrote:
> The faad problem will only show up at the start of a show - so to test a
> lot of stop/starts of different shows would be the best test. Playing
> duration is irrelevant to the bug but will test for the rebuffering
> issue.

That's not the point. The bug fix is easy to prove, it's obvious just
looking at the source code that the old way was wrong (over
generalisation of a Unix specific technique) and the new method of
checking the command line parameters is far more reliable.

The point is to check that the new faad.exe doesn't have any
regressions, ie. hasn't broken things that work in the old one. Michael
Herger said he wanted to see lots of testing of the new faad.exe before
he'd include it in an LMS release. I'm doing my bit and reporting that
I'm doing so. I've not seen much sign of others reporting how much
they're testing faad.exe, so unless it's being done somewhere I don't
see I suspect it will be a long time before Michael accepts the new
faad.exe.

bonze
2015-04-20 11:26:34 UTC
I have been listening to the following via squeezeplay on a PC desktop -
my LMS runs on a WHS 2011 system:

BBC 6 music (HLS)
XFM (AAC)
Chill (AAC)
Capital (AAC)
Heart (AAC)
ClassicFM (AAC)
Smooth (AAC)
and a few others on AAC.....

No problems starting or maintaining a stream (except occasional buffers
on the BBC stream)

LMS Version: 7.9
TranquilPC T2-WHS-A3 - WHS 2011
2x Touch, 3x SB3
bonze's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=6150
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
Owen Smith
2015-04-20 12:27:53 UTC
But are you running the new faad.exe? You don't say. And can SqueezePlay
handle AAC natively anyway thus bypassing transcoding?

bonze
2015-04-20 13:37:05 UTC
Owen Smith wrote:
> But are you running the new faad.exe? You don't say. And can SqueezePlay
> handle AAC natively anyway thus bypassing transcoding?Ugh!, sorry
Yes, running the new faad.exe, and AFAIR squeezeplay doesn't handle
natively (faad.exe currently running at about 3%)

psketch
2015-04-20 17:54:32 UTC
I've just installed the new plugins and faad on Windows 64 bit server,
and the streams seem to stop after 5-10 seconds. My server is on Azure,
so is currently reporting a Dublin IP address, so BBC thinks I'm outside
UK (pain), so I'm using the "not in the UK" streams. faad.exe is in
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Squeezebox\server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread"
dated 20/4. LMS is 7.8. Any ideas?

psketch's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=56555
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
bpa
2015-04-20 18:07:38 UTC
psketch wrote:
> I've just installed the new plugins and faad on Windows 64 bit server,
> and the streams seem to stop after 5-10 seconds. My server is on Azure,
> so is currently reporting a Dublin IP address, so BBC thinks I'm outside
> UK (pain), so I'm using the "not in the UK" streams. faad.exe is in
> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Squeezebox\server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread"
> dated 20/4. LMS is 7.8. Any ideas?

Outside UK stream work OK so that is not the issue unless you are trying
to play a UK URL from a non UK IP address.

Do you hear any audio or just see the timer moving ?

If no audio and using a non UK URL then get a log of trying to play a
stream using player.source set to DEBUG.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
psketch
2015-04-20 18:15:11 UTC
bpa wrote:
> Outside UK stream work OK so that is not the issue unless you are trying
> to play a UK URL from a non UK IP address.
>
> Do you hear any audio or just see the timer moving ?
>
> If no audio and using a non UK URL then get a log of trying to play a
> stream using player.source set to DEBUG.

I'm hearing the non-UK streams, but after about 5-10 seconds, they fade
out - seems to be consistent across all of the channels.

PasTim
2015-04-20 19:25:32 UTC
psketch wrote:
> I'm hearing the non-UK streams, but after about 5-10 seconds, they fade
> out - seems to be consistent across all of the channels. If I leave it
> running, it will sometimes restart, so it could be a nasty buffering
> problem. However, the VM running the server doesn't normally have any
> buffering problems.
Is this true of all BBCiPlayer Live, BBCiPlayer On Demand (Listen Again)
and BBCiPlayer Extras channels?

If using the Web GUI what do you see displayed, particularly the bit
rate?

I have realised that I am not entirely clear what level of 'On Demand'
services are available when outside the UK - maybe bpa can comment on

bpa
2015-04-20 19:36:24 UTC
PasTim wrote:
> I have realised that I am not entirely clear what level of 'On Demand'
> services are available when outside the UK - maybe bpa can comment on
> that.

At the moment, outside the UK all services are available but mostly only
at a lower bit rate (vlow) . Pre-Feb 15 only AAC and WMA used to be
available (e.g. No Flash/MP3) - now only "Listen Again" only AAC via
RTMP or HLS . Live Shoutcast MP3 stream are also available at low rates.
Some regional programs are available at high and low bitrates on "Listen
Again" but I think that is a mistake by BBC and may disappear.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
psketch
2015-04-20 19:53:04 UTC
PasTim wrote:
> Is this true of all BBCiPlayer Live, BBCiPlayer On Demand (Listen Again)
> and BBCiPlayer Extras channels?
>
> If using the Web GUI what do you see displayed, particularly the bit
> rate?
>
> I have realised that I am not entirely clear what level of 'On Demand'
> services are available when outside the UK - maybe bpa can comment on
> that.

So, Listen Live seems to stop on all channels - examples are ...

BBC Radio 4
101kbps CBR, AAC SBR

BBC Radio 5 Live
101kbps CBR, AAC SBR

But, tried a couple of OnDemand, and they seem OK - although at a lower
BR

5 live Sport: The Monday Night Club: 20/04/2015
Mark Chapman with football debate with Steve Claridge, Robbie Savage and
Amy Lawrence.
48kbps CBR, AAC LC

Owen Smith
2015-04-20 20:03:39 UTC
This isn't really the right thread for problem diagnosis. This thread is
about a particular set of fixes and their testing. Basic problem
diagnosis (which could be largely unrelated to iPlayer) should be in the
main iPlayer Annouce thread I would suggest.

psketch
2015-04-20 20:09:00 UTC
Owen Smith wrote:
> This isn't really the right thread for problem diagnosis. This thread is
> about a particular set of fixes and their testing. Basic problem
> diagnosis (which could be largely unrelated to iPlayer) should be in the
> main iPlayer Annouce thread I would suggest.

To be fair, I think these are iPlayer update specific. I don't have any
other problems like this one with other radio streams or playing my
music library, nor did I have these problems with the old iPlayer
plugins. So, this does seem specific to these updates to me.

PasTim
2015-04-20 20:32:00 UTC
psketch wrote:
> To be fair, I think these are iPlayer update specific. I don't have any
> other problems like this one with other radio streams or playing my
> music library, nor did I have these problems with the old iPlayer
> plugins. So, this does seem specific to these updates to me.
The BBC are using a new and relatively unusual broadcast protocol which
may be the cause of the problems you have, which is why I've suggest the
network and DNS checks.

Owen is suggesting that the iplayer plugin thread at
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?53229-Announce-BBCiPlayer-Plugin-%28UK-only%29/page385
is the main place to discuss issues with the plugin (even it not in the
UK). This 'sticky' thread is aimed at just giving reliable start-up
information to people. If it gets too long it becomes impossible for
people to read, so I try to keep it up to date near the front to give
the latest info to people.

psketch
2015-04-20 20:42:53 UTC
PasTim wrote:
> The BBC are using a new and relatively unusual broadcast protocol which
> may be the cause of the problems you have, which is why I've suggest the
> network and DNS checks.
>
> Owen is suggesting that the iplayer plugin thread at
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?53229-Announce-BBCiPlayer-Plugin-%28UK-only%29/page385
> is the main place to discuss issues with the plugin (even it not in the
> UK). This 'sticky' thread is aimed at just giving reliable start-up
> information to people. If it gets too long it becomes impossible for
> people to read, so I try to keep it up to date near the front to give
> the latest info to people.

Ah - ok - I will repost over there. From a network perspective, all's
good - everything wired not wireless, my connection is about 15Mb down
pretty solid, and the server is running on an Azure VM with lots of
capacity and good connections. I can stream video quite happily from
the server. Anyway - will repost. Thanks

PasTim
2015-04-20 20:06:37 UTC
psketch wrote:
> So, Listen Live seems to stop on all channels - examples are ...
>
> BBC Radio 4
> 101kbps CBR, AAC SBR
>
> BBC Radio 5 Live
> 101kbps CBR, AAC SBR
>

> But, tried a couple of OnDemand, and they seem OK - although at a lower
> BR
>
> 5 live Sport: The Monday Night Club: 20/04/2015
> Mark Chapman with football debate with Steve Claridge, Robbie Savage and
> Amy Lawrence.
> 48kbps CBR, AAC LC
So that seems to confirm you are indeed trying to listen live to non-UK
URLs, but not succeeding for long, and that you can get On-Demand. Just
for interest did you try the On Demand through iPlayer Extras as well
(which uses a different protocol)?

People much more knowledgeable than I say that for live streaming good
home network connections are required, plus a good DNS service. It
seems Live channels use frequent DNS lookups and these need to work
quite quickly otherwise the live steam gets lost. One user reported
that using ethernet via powerline adaptors didn't work well for him, but
others say they are OK. Another said trying Google's DNS at IP 8.8.8.8
helped.

wheresmebbc
2015-04-22 05:52:04 UTC
Sorry if this verges on topic hijacking but it does concern the broken
BBC iPlayer.

I have two Booms and a Touch and am using LMS based on a Synology
DS412+. I live in Italy.

The recent activity by the Beeb that has killed the once working radio
iPlayer means that I can no longer listen to live radio over the
internet.

I have tried the both of the above fixes (triode and bpa) but neither
work for me. Probably because I am not in the UK(?).

I just wanted to post a thank you to both triode and bpa for your
efforts and I look forward to hearing beeb radio again at some point.

wheresmebbc's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=64289
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
utgg
2015-04-22 07:28:23 UTC
wheresmebbc wrote:
> Sorry if this verges on topic hijacking but it does concern the broken
> BBC iPlayer.
>
> I have two Booms and a Touch and am using LMS based on a Synology
> DS412+. I live in Italy.
>
> The recent activity by the Beeb that has killed the once working radio
> iPlayer means that I can no longer listen to live radio over the
> internet.
>
> I have tried the both of the above fixes (triode and bpa) but neither
> work for me. Probably because I am not in the UK(?).
>
> I just wanted to post a thank you to both triode and bpa for your
> efforts and I look forward to hearing beeb radio again at some point.

Several people on this forum have the fixed BBCiPlayer (as described by
the first post in this thread) working outside the UK, so it should be
worth persevering - folks here will try their best to help. The main
BBCiPlayer thread () is a better place to pose questions. PasTim setup
this thread just to inform about the latest recommended version/fixes of
Triode's plugin so that new/latecomers wouldn't have to trawl through
many pages of the main thread - having many posts here will tend to
defeat that purpose!

While I'm here though, one simple thing - in the v1.3.1alpha3
BBCiPlayer, were you trying the 'Listen Live (Non UK)' menu?

wheresmebbc
2015-04-22 07:57:34 UTC
utgg wrote:
> ...in the v1.3.1alpha3 BBCiPlayer, were you trying the 'Listen Live (Non
> UK)' menu?

Oooops! Where's the red face (blushing, not angry) or slapping own
forehead smiley? :o
Mea culpa. I didn't scroll down far enough to spot that menu option. :(
Now enjoying live streams. :) ) Thanks again to everyone that has worked
on this. :D

stannoo
2015-04-13 20:43:12 UTC
Brilliant castalla - all up and running. Even got live sport back in
time for the test matches! Thanks so much.

Great to see the familiar names from the BBC blogs here! Glad someone
is doing something about this mess even if it isn't the Beeb.

Man in a van
2015-04-13 20:57:40 UTC
stannoo wrote:
> Plea for help from an illiterate. I've installed triode's iPlayer
> plugin on the LMS on my Synology NAS. How do I access this on my
> Squeezebox Radio?
>
> PS Apologies for the tech ignorance!

As per castalla below:-

castalla wrote:
> Choose My Music on main menu ... this should display your LMS device -
> choose
>
> On main menu choose Radio - BBCiplayer

expanded slightly,

On the Radio,

press start button,

press Home button

select My Music

This should give you connection to the NAS
If not ,scroll to bottom and select Switch Library
This should offer a choice (including your NAS)

When you connect to the NAS,

on the Radio, press the Home button
then scroll to either My Apps or Radio

West5
2015-04-23 15:08:33 UTC
Thanks to everyone, obviously Triode, bpa, utgg, bonze, Parky, and the
many others who I don't know, and crucially PasTim for what I can only
describe as the simplest how to guide I've read for a long time.

I realise that the install should have been easy as all the hard work
goes on in the background. It's been a quiet few months, and now I can
listen again, and listen live to complement the sunshine. For someone
who has little to no work coming in at the moment it's a major boost to
my sanity & general well being.

So thanks again everyone, as someone who has (despite starting with a
CBM in, erm, 1984) never really succeeded at coding I'm still in awe at
your work. I'll continue to champion your work, and hopefully find
someone who will listen at the BBC so we can stop this happening again.

Cheers to you all !!

West5's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=64293
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
Giza2020
2015-04-25 09:04:20 UTC
Final had 5 mins to do the love text patch and worked a treat (would
have been 5 mins if my phone hadn't renamed the patch .txt but hey at
least i worked it out

But amazing work all! !!

Cheers

Giza2020's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=36318
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
PasTim
2015-04-25 11:47:03 UTC
Giza2020 wrote:
> Final had 5 mins to do the love text patch and worked a treat (would
> have been 5 mins if my phone hadn't renamed the patch .txt but hey at
> least i worked it out
>
> But amazing work all! !!
>
> CheersI've been a bit under the weather lately (a heavy cold in late April -
grrrrr), and so I spent more minutes than I should have done trying to
work out what the 'love text patch' was. :)

scgf
2015-05-02 09:35:59 UTC
I followed the instructions in this thread, and updated LMS to 7.9. The
strange thing is that iPlayer on demand streams work from all stations
apart from the one I listen to most - Radio 4. If I switch to Radio 4 LW
I can listen to the streams but not from radio 4 FM - since the schedule
is 99% the same I am OK.

Any ideas why Radio 4 FM isn't working? It's fine live but not on
demand. I'm in the UK.

scgf's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=4716
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
PasTim
2015-05-02 10:13:43 UTC
scgf wrote:
> I followed the instructions in this thread, and updated LMS to 7.9. The
> strange thing is that iPlayer on demand streams work from all stations
> apart from the one I listen to most - Radio 4. If I switch to Radio 4 LW
> I can listen to the streams but not from radio 4 FM - since the schedule
> is 99% the same I am OK.
>
> Any ideas why Radio 4 FM isn't working? It's fine live but not on
> demand. I'm in the UK.
Does the iPlayerExtras 'on demand' stream work for Radio 4 FM?

scgf
2015-05-02 10:21:56 UTC
PasTim wrote:
> Does the iPlayerExtras 'on demand' stream work for Radio 4 FM?
Yes, no problem. Very odd!

bpa
2015-05-02 10:22:39 UTC
scgf wrote:
> I followed the instructions in this thread, and updated LMS to 7.9. The
> strange thing is that iPlayer on demand streams work from all stations
> apart from the one I listen to most - Radio 4. If I switch to Radio 4 LW
> I can listen to the streams but not from radio 4 FM - since the schedule
> is 99% the same I am OK.
>
> Any ideas why Radio 4 FM isn't working? It's fine live but not on
> demand. I'm in the UK.

How long since you updated ? It may be the old R4 FM stream are still
cached. If this is the problem, either shut down LMS for say 30 mins or
else clear the cache.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
scgf
2015-05-02 11:47:59 UTC
bpa wrote:
> How long since you updated ? It may be the old R4 FM stream are still
> cached. If this is the problem, either shut down LMS for say 30 mins or
> else clear the cache.
I think that was the problem. I went out for a bike ride, came back an
hour or so later and tried Radio 4 FM on demand and it now works! After
trying to get iPlayer working at all I'm very pleased! Thanks all for
the tips in this thread.

PasTim

PasTim
2015-05-15 09:16:58 UTC
You may find some sections of the BBC iPlayer Extras menu no longer
work. It seems the BBC are changing the way the 30-day archive
information is made available, and not telling people like us (or more
specifically the author of the plugin - bpa). It may be that we will
not be able to resolve this. :(

See the iPlayer Extras thread at
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?72709-Announce-BBCiPlayerExtra-v1-0&p=818085&viewfull=1#post818085
and following for more info.

agbagb
2015-07-21 09:34:38 UTC
I applied all the fixes above, with great success!

Just recently - last week or so - though I've had BBC streams cutting
out every few seconds. I suspect this is in fact a system or ISP
problem (the penalty of living in rural France....) but I thought I'd
just check here in case there was some known present issue with the new
iPlayer or the Beeb.

The streams I'm having most trouble with are:

R4 Ex: http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/bbcradio4extra.pls (by far the worse
problems)

and

R3: http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/bbcradio3.pls

I have these saved as MySqueezebox.com favorites, originally accessed by
iPlayer "fixed" as per this thread.

Any thoughts are welcome.

AGB

Logitech Media Server: 7.7.5 - 1416570306 (Default Web UI, Win7HomePrem
64-bit,#7600.
Music Library on internal HDD (FLAC music; mp3 voice etc).

USA:
LinkSys WRT54GS Router, WPA2
1 x Touch, wireless. (Firmware:7.7.3-r16676)
Controller: 7.7.2-r9663

France:
Sagem Livebox 2FR
1 x SB3, wireless. (Firmware 137)
1 x Touch, wireless. (Firmware: 7.7.3-r16676)
Controller: 7.7.1-r9557
3 x SB Radios [2 wireless, 1 usually LAN]: 7.7.3-r16676
agbagb's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=7034
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
bonze
2015-07-21 09:51:49 UTC
agbagb wrote:

> The streams I'm having most trouble with are:
>
> R4 Ex: http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/bbcradio4extra.pls (by far the worse
> problems)
>
> and
>
> R3: http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/bbcradio3.pls
>
> I have these saved as MySqueezebox.com favorites, originally accessed by
> iPlayer "fixed" as per this thread.
>
> Any thoughts are welcome.Both these streams are the old MP3 streams, not related to the "fixes"
in the first post.
They would have been originally taken from the Radiofeeds plug-in not
the BBC iPlayer plugin (hence the url link)

agbagb
2015-07-21 10:25:42 UTC
bonze wrote:
> Both these streams are the old MP3 streams, not related to the "fixes"
> in the first post.
> They would have been originally taken from the Radiofeeds plug-in not
> the BBC iPlayer plugin (hence the url link)

Heavens, you're right of course! I always used to have may favorites
stored locally (and I had pulled the latest versions of those from the
fixed iPlayer plug-in). I recently decided to use MySB's favorites
instead (makes it easier to have the same favorites in the same order on
every player, of course) and I must have forgotten to update those Beeb
streams, which I'd captured for MySB quite a while ago....

I've now done so - and it will be interesting to see if that helps my
issue (can't see why it would, mind..).

Anyway, thanks for spotting that!

rbl
2015-08-26 10:37:02 UTC
I still find live BBC radio stuttering a lot (usually for quite short
periods now of just a few seconds). Are other people still finding this,
and has anyone found a solution to this yet?

rbl's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=4517
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
PasTim
2015-08-26 10:50:26 UTC
rbl wrote:
> I still find live BBC radio stuttering a lot (usually for quite short
> periods now of just a few seconds). Are other people still finding this,
> and has anyone found a solution to this yet?
How often? I've been listening to Radio 3 all morning without a glitch
so far. It's usually pretty stable for me.

LMS 7.9 on VortexBox Midi, Xubuntu 14.04, FLACs 16->24 bit,
44.1->192kbps. LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (to MF amp &
ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers. Minimserver (server) & upplay
(control point) to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers. Squeezelite to
Meridian USB Explorer DAC to speakers/phones. Wireless Xubuntu 15.04
laptop with firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with
Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver. Have a Touch
with EDO, plus spare, but unused.
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
rbl
2015-08-26 10:53:00 UTC
it is a lot better than say a couple of months ago, but it has broken up
a few times today (radio 2, 4). Radio 3 certainly breaks up too on
occasion. I'd guestimate there is a break-up about 10-20 times a day,
usually only for a few seconds... It definitely has its moments where it
will break up several times, and then be fine for a few hours...

bpa
2015-08-26 10:52:58 UTC
rbl wrote:
> I still find live BBC radio stuttering a lot (usually for quite short
> periods now of just a few seconds). Are other people still finding this,
> and has anyone found a solution to this yet?

There are a number of causes for "stuttering"/pause/gaps so more details
always help.

Does stuttering only happen with live streams or does it happen with
on-demand/Listen Again ?
Is the stuttering - gaps without loss of audio (i.e. pauses) or gaps
without loss of audio ?
What are you using to play live streams and what format ?
Are you in UK or not ?
If playing HLS streams have you done the DNS mods ?
Have you enabled any logging (e.g. DNA , http) to determine the cause of
the stuttering ?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
rbl
2015-08-26 10:57:23 UTC
bpa wrote:
> There are a number of causes for "stuttering"/pause/gaps so more details
> always help.
>
> Does stuttering only happen with live streams or does it happen with
> on-demand/Listen Again ?
> Is the stuttering - gaps without loss of audio (i.e. pauses) or gaps
> without loss of audio ?
> What are you using to play live streams and what format ?
> Are you in UK or not ?
> If playing HLS streams have you done the DNS mods ?
> Have you enabled any logging (e.g. DNA , http) to determine the cause of
> the stuttering ?

- I only use live streams, haven't tried replay
- usually it pauses - it picks up where it left off
- I am using 2 wired SB3s, and squeezelite. PC is wired too.
- Am in London with good fibre connection
- I tried the DNS mods some months ago and it didn't help, so I put
them back to how they were. Things are better now to be fair,
- I don't have any logging at the moment. Very happy to turn it on...

bpa
2015-08-26 14:18:10 UTC
rbl wrote:
> I tried the DNS mods some months ago and it didn't help, so I put them
> back to how they were. Things are better now to be fair,
> - I don't have any logging at the moment. Very happy to turn it on...

Are you playing the Mp3 or the HLS streams ?
If it is the HLS then the pauses sound like the DNS problem - you don't
say which mods you tried. IIRC You need to enable network.asyncdns to
see what is happening and also check whether the mods have any effect.

Depending on the OS running you could try playing the BBC HLS live urls
drectly with the PlayHLS plugin installed. This means ffmpeg will do
the HLS processing and also deal with DNS rather than LMS if the DNS
problem is with LMS rather than the OS.

If playing MP3 - try enabling LMS "Proxied streaming" using WebUI
Settings/Player/Audio/MP3 Streaming Method

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
rbl
2015-08-26 14:34:14 UTC
bpa wrote:
> Are you playing the Mp3 or the HLS streams ?
> If it is the HLS then the pauses sound like the DNS problem - you don't
> say which mods you tried. IIRC You need to enable network.asyncdns to
> see what is happening and also check whether the mods have any effect.
>
> Depending on the OS running you could try playing the BBC HLS live urls
> drectly with the PlayHLS plugin installed. This means ffmpeg will do
> the HLS processing and also deal with DNS rather than LMS if the DNS
> problem is with LMS rather than the OS.
>
> If playing MP3 - try enabling LMS "Proxied streaming" using WebUI
> Settings/Player/Audio/MP3 Streaming Method

I am using both
1) Triodes iPLayer plugin v1.3.1alpha3 with
HLS->MP3->FlashAAC->FlashMP3
2) RadioFeeds.co.uk
If one doesn't work then sometimes the other seems better, although it's
hard to be scientific about it.

I haven't tried PlayHLS and know very little about it - is that worth a
shot? I don't one to interfere with the other, but I guess that probably
isn't a problem, as in both can coexist happily?

Ill try proxy streaming, but it says LMS defaults to this when SB3s are
sync'd, which in my case they are.

Back in March I tried changing the DNS server to Google's - 8.8.8.8 and
8.8.4.4. I will try that again....

I have been using Windows 7 64bit, and recetly changed to Windows 10
64bit.

bpa
2015-08-27 11:25:39 UTC
rbl wrote:

> I haven't tried PlayHLS and know very little about it - is that worth a
> shot? I don't one to interfere with the other, but I guess that probably
> isn't a problem, as in both can coexist happily?
>
> Ill try proxy streaming, but it says LMS defaults to this when SB3s are
> sync'd, which in my case they are.
>
> Back in March I tried changing the DNS server to Google's - 8.8.8.8 and
> 8.8.4.4. I will try that again....
>
> I have been using Windows 7 64bit, and recetly changed to Windows 10
> 64bit.

Since we have been around this particular block just last June - I
wanted to do a bit more digging rather than repeat the same advice.

The HLS (and similar protocols such as HDS and DASH) send stream audio
as lots of small files about 6 secs in length and unlike "normal" http
streaming, each fragment needs a DNS lookup. LMS is designed to run as a
single process and so it interleaves its own DNS lookups with http
fetches. This is complicated by "live" streams which means there is
usuakly only the "Radio Station buffer" seconds of audio in the player
default is 3 secs. Which means if a DNS lookup is slow or a http fetch
blocks a DNS - some of the audio buffer is used up. After 2,3,4,5...
DNS/HTTP problems as each one uses up some of the buffer eventually
there is no longer any audio left in the player and so you get
rebuffering.

* Changing the DNS server may help.
* With Windows (according to utgg) there is an specific issue where
Windows caches too much and utgg made changes to his LMS code to
minimise the effect.
* Other users have setup a dnsmasq server on PI or similar so that there
is a very local DNS server.

My suggestion is to try the PlayHLS plugin which is used to play Apple
HLS m3u8 streams. This plugin uses ffmpeg (or avconv) to process the
HLS streams and send a audio stream into LMS to send to player. This
means LMS is not dealing with DNS or http. The plugin can be installed
alongside BBCiPlayer and users just need to create a Favorite with the
appropriate BBC m3u8 URL (found in BBCiPlayer menu.opml file). The
Plugin has its own thread see
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?103158-Announce-PlayHLS-Plugin-plugin-to-play-Apple-HLS-m3u8-stream
and installation instruction are in post 2 & 3.

If PlayHLS doesn't solve the problem for you - then it can be
uninstalled but then you'll know the problem is probably outside your
inhouse setup.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
Owen Smith
2015-08-27 12:59:22 UTC
It is also possible to disable Windows DNS caching so that it always
requests from the DNS server. I do this, Windows caching is off so it
always requests, and that request goes to dnsmasq on my Pi which is a
much better DNS cache which behaves correctly (unlike Windows DNS
caching).

To disable Windows DNS caching you stop one of the Services, I forget
what it's actual name is and I can't check at the moment.

PasTim
2015-08-27 13:27:52 UTC
Owen Smith wrote:
> It is also possible to disable Windows DNS caching so that it always
> requests from the DNS server. I do this, Windows caching is off so it
> always requests, and that request goes to dnsmasq on my Pi which is a
> much better DNS cache which behaves correctly (unlike Windows DNS
> caching).
>
> To disable Windows DNS caching you stop one of the Services, I forget
> what it's actual name is and I can't check at the moment.
Owen, I run LMS on a dedicated xubuntu box. It doesn't run all the
time, so wouldn't be suitable as a permanent local network nameserver
for my whole network. Can I none the less make use of the caching
facility for DNS from LMS? I'm struggling through a load of man pages
and so on which don't seem to match my system. dnsmasq is running, but
there's no /etc/dnsmasq.conf. There is one under /etc/dbus-1/system.d/
but I've no idea what that's doing.,

Owen Smith
2015-08-27 15:42:14 UTC
PasTim wrote:
> Owen, I run LMS on a dedicated xubuntu box. It doesn't run all the
> time, so wouldn't be suitable as a permanent local network nameserver
> for my whole network. Can I none the less make use of the caching
> facility for DNS from LMS? I'm struggling through a load of man pages
> and so on which don't seem to match my system. dnsmasq is running, but
> there's no /etc/dnsmasq.conf. There is one under /etc/dbus-1/system.d/
> but I've no idea what that's doing.,

I bought a Raspberry Pi, found an article online that explains how to
run it as a DNS cache using dnsmasq, and I did exactly what it said. I
can't advise on other systems. The only thing I had to work out myself
was how to change my router's DHCP response to give the IP address of my
Pi as the DNS server rather than the ISPs. On my old router this was
hard and involed telnet in on the command line. On my new router it is
trivial, one field in the web UI. Plus of course disabling the Windows
DNS service, but I did that years earlier.

A Pi is very cheap and even the most basic model is capable of running
dnsmasq. You don't need a keyboard or mouse or monitor once it is set
up, I don't touch mine for months on end. Dnsmasq consumes very little
resources.

PasTim
2015-08-27 16:35:31 UTC
Owen Smith wrote:
> I bought a Raspberry Pi, found an article online that explains how to
> run it as a DNS cache using dnsmasq, and I did exactly what it said. I
> can't advise on other systems. The only thing I had to work out myself
> was how to change my router's DHCP response to give the IP address of my
> Pi as the DNS server rather than the ISPs. On my old router this was
> hard and involed telnet in on the command line. On my new router it is
> trivial, one field in the web UI. Plus of course disabling the Windows
> DNS service, but I did that years earlier.
>
> A Pi is very cheap and even the most basic model is capable of running
> dnsmasq. You don't need a keyboard or mouse or monitor once it is set
> up, I don't touch mine for months on end. Dnsmasq consumes very little
> resources.
Thanks. I'm still reluctant to host more boxes, and I don't need DHCP.
However, I have, just this minute, managed to re-install dnsmasq on my
music server, add "server=8.8.8.8" (etc) statements to /etc/dnsmasq.conf
and check /etc/resolv/conf points to 127.0.0.1 (ie loopback).

This seems to work. It's rather confusing because there seem to be
several network managers around, one showing itself as 'Network
Connections', and one as 'Networking'. All seems to be running OK thus
far.

Owen Smith
2015-08-27 21:44:34 UTC
PasTim wrote:
> Thanks. I'm still reluctant to host more boxes, and I don't need DHCP.
> However, I have, just this minute, managed to re-install dnsmasq on my
> music server, add "server=8.8.8.8" (etc) statements to /etc/dnsmasq.conf
> and check /etc/resolv/conf points to 127.0.0.1 (ie loopback).
>
> This seems to work. It's rather confusing because there seem to be
> several network managers around, one showing itself as 'Network
> Connections', and one as 'Networking'. All seems to be running OK thus
> far.

In my case the Pi is my only Unix box, so I don't have anything else I
can run dnsmasq on. I can understand you not wanting to gain yet another
system to adminster.

I even avoided needing another power supply, I power the Pi from the USB
socket on my Apple Airport Extreme whicn creates my wireless network.

stannoo
2015-08-30 09:25:54 UTC
All was going well with the triode plugins running on my NAS until
yesterday when I updated Synology DSM. Now the radio no longer appears
on the My Music / NAS page (although my itunes library still shows up
and plays as normal).

I looked at the LMS plugins page and the plugins are still installed,
but at the top of the page are the following items. Anyone any ideas as
the the cause/solution? Cheers.

Bad repository http://www.mysqueezebox.com/public/plugins/logitech.xml -
Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com
Bad repository http://www.mysqueezebox.com/public/plugins/repository.xml
- Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com
Bad repository http://bpaplugins.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/repo-short.xml
- Couldn't resolve IP address for: bpaplugins.googlecode.com
Bad repository
http://triodeplugins.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/testrepo.xml - Couldn't
resolve IP address for: triodeplugins.googlecode.com

bpa
2015-08-30 09:30:46 UTC
stannoo wrote:
> All was going well with the triode plugins running on my NAS until
> yesterday when I updated Synology DSM. Now the radio no longer appears
> on the My Music / NAS page (although my itunes library still shows up
> and plays as normal).
>
> I looked at the LMS plugins page and the plugins are still installed,
> but at the top of the page are the following items. Anyone any ideas as
> the the cause/solution? Cheers.
>
> Bad repository http://www.mysqueezebox.com/public/plugins/logitech.xml -
> Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com
> Bad repository http://www.mysqueezebox.com/public/plugins/repository.xml
> - Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com
> Bad repository http://bpaplugins.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/repo-short.xml
> - Couldn't resolve IP address for: bpaplugins.googlecode.com
> Bad repository
> http://triodeplugins.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/testrepo.xml - Couldn't
> resolve IP address for: triodeplugins.googlecode.com

Your DNS/network was not operational by the time LMS had started -
restart LMS but not your system/netwrok.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
stannoo
2015-08-30 12:15:10 UTC
bpa wrote:
> Your DNS/network was not operational by the time LMS had started -
> restart LMS but not your system/netwrok.

Thanks bpa. Just tried stopping & restarting LMS on the NAS and the
error messages are still there, and now there is nothing showing on the
My Music page at all - i.e. music has disappeared as well as radio.

The network check shows it is connected to the same network as always
and with good strength. LMS is definitely running on the NAS but the
Squeezebox doesn't seem able to see it. Nothing has changed in my setup
other than updating the Synology software. No changes to router. I'm
really puzzled.

rbl
2015-09-04 07:44:19 UTC
bpa wrote:
> Since we have been around this particular block just last June - I
> wanted to do a bit more digging rather than repeat the same advice.
>
> My suggestion is to try the PlayHLS plugin which is used to play Apple
> HLS m3u8 streams. This plugin uses ffmpeg (or avconv) to process the
> HLS streams and send a audio stream into LMS to send to player. This
> means LMS is not dealing with DNS or http. The plugin can be installed
> alongside BBCiPlayer and users just need to create a Favorite with the
> appropriate BBC m3u8 URL (found in BBCiPlayer menu.opml file). The
> Plugin has its own thread see
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?103158-Announce-PlayHLS-Plugin-plugin-to-play-Apple-HLS-m3u8-stream
> and installation instruction are in post 2 & 3.

PlayHLS seems to be working perfectly. Big thank you - the problem had
been slowly driving me nuts. I can't see what bitrate I am getting, but
it sounds ok.

I had thought your previous post of trying Proxied Streaming had worked,
but then the problem came back with a vengeance after a few days.
Changing DNS server didn't seem to make any difference.

bpa
2015-09-04 12:06:44 UTC
rbl wrote:
> PlayHLS seems to be working perfectly. Big thank you - the problem had
> been slowly driving me nuts. I can't see what bitrate I am getting, but
> it sounds ok.

The fact that PlayHLS it works OK means the original problem is with the
BBCiPlayer HLS implementation. The question is whether to try to solve
it before BBC changes streaming format again as promised.

> I had thought your previous post of trying Proxied Streaming had worked,
> but then the problem came back with a vengeance after a few days.
If HLS stream problems went away after you changed to Proxied Streaming
then it would have been a placebo effect as Proxied Streaming can only
affect direct stream (i.e. MP3,WMA) and not synced.

> Changing DNS server didn't seem to make any difference.

If you have LMS on a Windows platform then the DNS solution requires
more than just changing DNS server.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
Richard Griffiths
2015-04-06 19:51:40 UTC
Hi

> FWIW, my LMS machine has always been connected to my router with via
Powerline Network Adapters and I've not seen a hint of this issue

Ditto on this, but I'm also using OpenDNS.

I've also move things around recently so that my LMS box (Synology 214play)
is plugged directly into the router and I'm not seeing any difference.

It may now be a specific provider issue?

Richard
ian_heys
2015-04-01 17:04:04 UTC
...........and all the other contributors to the now superior iPlayer
and iPlayer extras.

Thanks Tim too, helped me make sense of the last few weeks of postings

ian_heys's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2629
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
mphearn
2015-05-17 08:28:02 UTC
PasTim wrote:
> [...]
> - Add the following line to the list of additional repositories:

Code:
--------------------

> http://triodeplugins.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/testrepo.xml

--------------------

> - Press 'Apply' at bottom right.
> - Restart LMS.
> - You should now find that either the new BBCiPlayer plugin is now
> already available and installed, or there is a box you can tick near
> the bottom of the plugins list (under "Triode's Squeezecenter Plugins
> (Test Versions)") to make it available on the next LMS restart. If
> the latter, tick it and restart LMS.
>

> 2) INSTALL UPDATED VERSION OF BPA'S BBC IPLAYER EXTRAS PLUGIN -
> VERSION V1.8
>
> Repeat the instructions in step 1 except use the repository below, and
> ensure that the BBC iPlayer Extras plugin version 1.8 is selected and

Code:
--------------------

--------------------

> [...]
> Softsqueeze. This may be due to problems with the faad and flac
> transcoders being unable to run to convert aac to flac. This problem
> does not occur using devices such as the LMS Touch or squeezelite
> since they can process aac natively. If this happens you have two
> possible ways to improve matters.
>
> i) You could update to LMS 7.9. However 7.9 is a beta release and may
> not suit those who prefer a stable release with which they are
> familiar.
>
> ii) Update your versions of faad and flac as follows:
> - Go to
> https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/tree/public/7.9/Bin/x86_64-linux
> and download flac and faad from there.
> - In /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Bin/i386-linux on your LMS server
> rename the two files flac and faad, and replace them with the two
> files you've downloaded
> - make sure that the two new files have the same ownership and
> permissions as the previous versions, using chown and chmod commands
> as appropriate.
> - Restart the server.
>
> e) If you have 'buffering' problems, especially on a low powered
> device such as a Pi, check the CPU load. If high, and you have extra
> services enabled, consider disabling them. One user has reported that
> including the LMS UPnP plugin caused problems since his TV was tending
> to try and access it and increasing the load. Disabling such plugins
> may help.
>
> f) If some stations don't work, but some do, straight after installing
> the plugins, wait for an hour or two. There is a cache holding recent
> station addresses (URLs) that will get cleared after a while.
>
> *4)* In the UK using BBC iPlayer you can now listen to high quality
> Live streams of almost all stations, and moderate quality On Demand
> streams. Outside the UK, the quality of Live streams using the
> separate menu item 'Listen Live (Non UK)', and of On Demand streams,
> is reduced, but at least the stations mostly exist. Using BBC iPlayer
> Extras you can find On Demand streams in a different way, and listen
> to high quality Radio 3 programmes.
>
> *5)* Send thanks to bpa, Triode, utgg, bonze, Parky, and many others
> who have contributed patches and suggestions that have led to the
> current stable solution.
>
> *6)* I have tried to resist providing much technical information in
> this description. I will therefore just add that Triode's BBC iPlayer
> plugin uses 'HLS' as a streaming protocol, which the BBC have been
> talking a lot about, and should exist for some time to come. bpa's
> BBC iPlayer Extras plugin uses 'RTMP' as a streaming protocol, which
> the BBC have been very quiet about, and might disappear at any time.
> A third protocol (MPEG DASH) is promised for the future. As far as I
> know all current and planned streams now use the AAC codec. Some
> legacy streams have been temporarily provided using MP3, but neither

Many Many thanks for your excellent instructions. I have applied both
the Triode ‘alpha’ plugin and the bpa iPlayer Extras plugin to the LMS
v7.7.2 as included in my QNAP NAS. Everything is now working perfectly.
May I also thank Triode and bpa for their amazing skills.

Do you think anybody is working on a solution to access the BBC iPlayer
episodes which are now available up to 30 days after transmission?

Thank you again for your excellent instructions without which I could
not have achieved success.

mphearn's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1764
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
PasTim
2015-05-17 08:42:21 UTC
mphearn wrote:
> Many Many thanks for your excellent instructions. I have applied both
> the Triode ‘alpha’ plugin and the bpa iPlayer Extras plugin to the LMS
> v7.7.2 as included in my QNAP NAS. Everything is now working perfectly.
> May I also thank Triode and bpa for their amazing skills.
>
> Do you think anybody is working on a solution to access the BBC iPlayer
> episodes which are now available up to 30 days after transmission?
>
> Thank you again for your excellent instructions without which I could
> not have achieved success.
The iPlayer Extras plugin should still be providing that, assuming the
BBC stop mucking around with the index!

mphearn
2015-05-17 09:21:08 UTC
PasTim wrote:
> The iPlayer Extras plugin should still be providing that, assuming the
> BBC stop mucking around with the index!

So it does!! Sorry to be so unobservant!

PasTim
2015-05-17 10:24:53 UTC
mphearn wrote:
> So it does!! Sorry to be so unobservant!
Not at all. The volume of information bombarding us all these days is
more than many of us, myself included, can process easily. That's why I
spent quite a while producing this guide (for me as well as others)
having tried to follow the ins and outs of what was being reported in
several other places.

I'm just glad it's been useful. :)

Owen Smith
2015-05-17 12:34:25 UTC
mphearn wrote:
> Thank you again for your excellent instructions without which I could
> not have achieved success.

It is generally good practice to trim what you are quoting. Not so
necessary for short postings in the first place, but quoting the entire
of the first posting in this thread seems a bit excessive. NB . It is
possible to go back and edit your posting to shorten it.

mphearn
2015-05-17 13:08:52 UTC
Owen Smith wrote:
> It is generally good practice to trim what you are quoting. Not so
> necessary for short postings in the first place, but quoting the entire
> of the first posting in this thread seems a bit excessive. NB . It is
> possible to go back and edit your posting to shorten it.

I agree, it was excessive! At the time I couldn't figure out how to do
it but I hope the current version is now better!

Man in a van
2015-05-17 14:41:47 UTC
mphearn wrote:
> I agree, it was excessive! At the time I couldn't figure out how to do
> it but I hope the current version is now better!

you can get of the naughty step now :p

Christian Schoepplein
2015-05-17 15:39:02 UTC
Hi simon,

bei den Leuten, die ich aus der Liste entfernt habe, bin ich mir sicher, dass sie nicht mehr Baseball spielen wollen oder kein Interesse mehr daran haben. Den Franz habe ich ausgetragen, weil Hubertus mich darum gebeten hat. Die Adressen von Maria, die ich irrtümlicherweise auch ausgetragen habe, sind wieder mit in der Liste.

Ciao,

Schöpp

Christian Schoepplein - ***@schoeppi.net - http://www.schoeppi.net
PasTim
2015-05-17 15:52:14 UTC
***@schoeppi.net wrote:
> Hi simon,
>
> bei den Leuten, die ich aus der Liste entfernt habe, bin ich mir sicher,
> dass sie nicht mehr Baseball spielen wollen oder kein Interesse mehr
> daran haben. Den Franz habe ich ausgetragen, weil Hubertus mich darum
> gebeten hat. Die Adressen von Maria, die ich irrtümlicherweise auch
> ausgetragen habe, sind wieder mit in der Liste.
>
> Ciao,
>
> Schöpp

For those of you whose German is limited, Google Translate comes to the
rescue:

-Hi Simon,

with the people that I have removed from the list, I'm sure that they do
not want to play more baseball or are no longer interested in it. Franz
I fought because Hubertus asked me. The addresses of Mary, which I have
also erroneously discharged, are again in the list.

Ciao,

Schöpp -

;)

ian_heys
2015-05-17 17:32:25 UTC
PasTim wrote:
> For those of you whose German is limited, Google Translate comes to the
> rescue:

It's all clear now!

rasta-p
2015-06-15 19:52:28 UTC
Hello,

Thank you for all the effort in getting the iplayer back. I seems to
have a small problem:

- I followed the guide.
- Installed triodes new alpha plugin.
- Installed bpa extra plugin.
- Since i'm using ubuntu 14.10 I followed that part of the guide as
well.
- Using LMS 7.9.0 from a nightly build yesterday.

Every time I try to play a BBC essential mix i get this is in the log:
[15-06-15 21:45:39.9103] Plugins::BBCiPlayer::iPlayer::_msParse (271)
error:
syntax error at line 1, column 0, byte 0 at
/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/XML/Parser.pm line 187.
[15-06-15 21:45:39.9124] Plugins::BBCiPlayer::iPlayer::_msParse (271)
error:
syntax error at line 1, column 0, byte 0 at
/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/XML/Parser.pm line 187.

Does any one have an idea to what i might try? Could the problem be
somewhere else?

rasta-p's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=51814
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
bonze
2015-06-15 21:49:35 UTC
rasta-p wrote:

> Every time I try to play a BBC essential mix i get this is in the log:
> [15-06-15 21:45:39.9103] Plugins::BBCiPlayer::iPlayer::_msParse (271)
> error:
> syntax error at line 1, column 0, byte 0 at
> /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/XML/Parser.pm line 187.
> [15-06-15 21:45:39.9124] Plugins::BBCiPlayer::iPlayer::_msParse (271)
> error:
> syntax error at line 1, column 0, byte 0 at
> /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/XML/Parser.pm line 187.

Could you explain further what menu options you were taking?

rasta-p
2015-06-17 21:22:01 UTC
It's all working fine now. Looking further at the log showed two
instances of the server running.

Thanks for bringing BBC back.

paul.burden
2015-07-16 09:50:00 UTC
Hi Folks

Can I start by thanking everyone for keeping at this, in face of a
particularly unhelpful BBC.

After working for a while now I have lost the ability to play Radio 4 FM
listen again, specifically the 18:30 comedy slot. Is it just me? as was
noticed on another thread Radio 4 LW works!

Cheers

Paul

paul.burden's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=5541
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
bpa
2015-07-16 11:37:06 UTC
paul.burden wrote:
> After working for a while now I have lost the ability to play Radio 4 FM
> listen again, specifically the 18:30 comedy slot. Is it just me? as was
> noticed on another thread Radio 4 LW works!

What menus are you using to get to the 18:30 slot ?
Is the problem the 18:30 slot does not appear or the program is there
but doesn't play ?

If using the BBCiPLayer Radio 4FM/Today Menu - then the "Today" is often
a few hours behind the broadcast programs and if something goes wrong
sometime a single program can go missing for 24 hours.

Also LMS caches menu lookups so if the program wasn't there - if you
check too often the cache will be used. The cache needs to expire
before the list is updated and therefore at a guess you need to not look
at the top level menu for at least 15-30 mins.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
PasTim
2015-07-16 11:50:44 UTC
paul.burden wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> Can I start by thanking everyone for keeping at this, in face of a
> particularly unhelpful BBC.
>
> After working for a while now I have lost the ability to play Radio 4 FM
> listen again, specifically the 18:30 comedy slot. Is it just me? as was
> noticed on another thread Radio 4 LW works!
>
> Cheers
>

> Paul
Works for me both on the iPlayer Extras National Schedule menu (provided
I pick a day before today of course) and on the iPlayer Listen Again
menu.

jeztastic
2015-07-16 15:14:19 UTC
Hi,

Thanks to all at Triode keeping this working!

Up to now however - I have just lost the live streams - I'm unsure why.
iPlayer Extras and Listen Again are working, but just silence on the
live streams. I am using the latest versions of LMS and the plugin as
far as I know.

Anyone else having problems?

Jez

jeztastic's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=30053
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=103435
bonze
2015-07-16 15:37:02 UTC
jeztastic wrote:
> Up to now however - I have just lost the live streams - I'm unsure why.
> iPlayer Extras and Listen Again are working, but just silence on the
> live streams - it just says 'connecting'... I am using the latest
> versions of LMS and the plugin as far as I know.
>
> Anyone else having problems?
Working fine here :)

Latest version of BBC iPlayer plugin is 1.3.1 alpha3
Is there anything in the server.log ?

jeztastic
2015-07-16 16:26:10 UTC
bonze wrote:
> Working fine here :)
>
> Latest version of BBC iPlayer plugin is 1.3.1 alpha3
> Is there anything in the server.log ?

Yes, that's the version I have. Not sure what I would be looking fro in
server.log. Can you tell me how to locate it and what to look for?

Thanks

bonze
2015-07-16 16:53:23 UTC
jeztastic wrote:
> Yes, that's the version I have. Not sure what I would be looking fro in
> server.log. Can you tell me how to locate it and what to look for?
>
> ThanksIf you look at the Settings > Information page of the web GUI it will
show where the server.log is located on your system.
The location is also shown on the LMS Control panel if you have one.

On the web page, you can also take the option to view the last few lines
of the log which can be easier than locating and scanning the log
yourself.

Look for anything unusual logged when you try a live stream.

PasTim
2015-07-16 19:15:10 UTC
jeztastic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks to all at Triode keeping this working!
>
> Up to now however - I have just lost the live streams - I'm unsure why.
> iPlayer Extras and Listen Again are working, but just silence on the
> live streams - it just says 'connecting'... I am using the latest
> versions of LMS and the plugin as far as I know.
>
> Anyone else having problems?
>
> Jez
OK here. Are you in the UK?

jeztastic
2015-07-16 20:54:00 UTC
Aha!

There is a lot of this rather negative looking code... Could someone
interpret it? (As you may have guessed I am not a computing expert...)

Yes, I am in the UK.

Code:
--------------------
[15-07-16 17:46:16.8159] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::__ANON__ (147) Error: Select task failed calling Slim::Web::HTTP::sendStreamingResponse: illegal file descriptor or filehandle (either no attached file descriptor or illegal value): at /<C:\PROGRA~2\SQUEEZ~1\server\SQUEEZ~3.EXE>Slim/Networking/IO/Select.pm line 150.
; fh=Slim::Web::HTTP::ClientConn=GLOB(0xa3fa48c)
--------------------

jeztastic
2015-07-16 20:59:41 UTC
OK, now it's working and I'm very confused. :confused:

The last 1000 lines of the server.log file are still variations of the
below, the last is:

Code:
--------------------
[15-07-16 21:55:46.4372] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::__ANON__ (147) Error: Select task failed calling Slim::Web::HTTP::sendStreamingResponse: illegal file descriptor or filehandle (either no attached file descriptor or illegal value): at /<C:\PROGRA~2\SQUEEZ~1\server\SQUEEZ~3.EXE>Slim/Networking/IO/Select.pm line 150.
; fh=Slim::Web::HTTP::ClientConn=GLOB(0xa40ed14)
--------------------

bonze
2015-07-16 21:53:08 UTC
jeztastic wrote:
> OK, now it's working and I'm very confused. :confused: I haven't done
> anything differently and I tried just a couple of minutes ago - it
> wasn't working then but now it is. I've been streaming video so no
> bandwidth problems, and LMS plays local music files with no problems.
>
> The last 1000 lines of the server.log file are still variations of the
> below, the last is:

I think we can ignore those ones for now, been getting them a while.

At least you are now connected :) Just one of those 'things'